Can't reach desktop of Live CD of Mepis 8.5

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Rilla927, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi gang,

I chose the default boot option and I get "can't find Mepis filesystem". Anyone know what I should do? There is white field that says boot with the cursor blinking also.

Thanks

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Did it's md5 check out? Know your video card? F1, 2 and 3 provide additional options - try.

3. Rilla927

I don't know how to do that. Don't you need a program for that. I've seen it talked about a lot but it always went over my head.

4. GlobalForce

5. Rilla927

Okay, I d/l it and it matched. I have had the same problem with Mandriva. I thought it could be a bad burn and I ended up buring it 6 times.

6. JConLine

JConLine Registered Member

Did you choose to install grub to sda or sda1. If you don't know for sure you can re-install and choose to install grub to mbr, which is sda. Mepis gives you the option of where to install grub. Also, what is your partitioning scheme?

JC

7. JConLine

JConLine Registered Member

Sorry, thought you installed to HD. Then I read your post.

JC

8. GlobalForce

Without specs (and preferably as an attached txt report), your likelihood of reaching the desktop's left to chance.

Or, another way to slice it - as root from your Fedora live cd: lshw -C display | lspci -k > ~/Desktop/hw.txt

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  9. Rilla927

Hi Globalforce,

here are the specs; hopefully you can pick something out.

Thanks

Attached Files:

10. GlobalForce

Here ya go Rilla. Get a clear boot prompt then add what follows - my best hw based guess.

(x)drvr=nv xres=1600x1200 quiet vsync=56x85 hsync=28x92 splash

The above syntax should be correct or close as I doubt boot options have changed much since 8.0. The driver prefix (first part there) may or may not include an x (check by carefully weeding up'n down boot options, you'll then understand how they're spec'd). Monitor refresh rates from here.

Try. If it doesn't work, we'll make a few modifications.

11. Rilla927

I will give it a try and let you know.

Edit
    The very first time I booted this disc it worked beautifully and all because of me not saving that file it wreaked havoc. When I try to boot the disc I hit F2 for boot options and there is a bunch of options wtitten in red. I put what you wrote (tried it both ways with the X and without) and it says it can't find kernal image, then it starts a scan for drive and files. It finds the drives okay but when it comes to files it says it can't find Puppy files and then it list the error:

lupu-510.sfs not found Then in red it says "Dropping ping out to initial ramdisk console...... and then

/bin/sh; can't access tty; job control turned off

It just dawned on me that my title is about Mepis but I moved on with that and the problem I have is with Lucid Puppy 5.1. Can a mod change the title or move it? Sorry, I got them mixed up. I thought I started a thread for Lucid Puppy. Thanks

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  12. GlobalForce

Aside from suggesting you finish there, this re-writable media we're talk'in?

13. Rilla927

Okay, thanks Globalforce!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.