Can't Open File

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by jldodge, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jldodge

jldodge Registered Member

I am using Paragon Backup & Recovery 12. I have 3 different backups of my operating system. Each one have been used in a restore process before. However, now I get an error message after the reboot that says "some error occurred ... can't open file".

I have tried (1) starting in Safe Mode, (2) running ckdsk on the drive containing the backup files, and (3) uninstalling/reinstalling Paragon. Everytime, I get the exact same error. The USB drive containing the backups passes the ckdsk and defrag programs. The backup files have been used successfully in other restore situations. What am I missing?

I used to be a die hard Acronis user. Their software eventually caused more problems/errors via sloppy upgrades so I switched to Paragon. Now Paragon is demonstrating a similar behavior in that is has lost its reliability.

I searched a number of sights and this error message does not have a lot of useful interaction. Am I unique? Are there no solutions?

I hate paying for tech support when I have already paid for the software UNLESS I have some unique circumstances.

Any and all help would be appreciated ... Thanks in advance ...

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Have you tried booting up the Backup and Recovery 12 recovery media version to do it?

Although I don't think this is the problem, confirm via Windows Disk Management that the USB drive is shown with a drive letter assigned before you run Paragon B&R from Windows.

3. jldodge

Thanks for the response ... Yes the drive was visible ... not the problem.

I attempted booting from a CD and was unable to access the USB drive. If anyone has suggestions on how I process through the Paragon boot options, I would appreciate them.

Anyway, using the Paragon boot disk did not solve the problem.

I have three backup files that I have accessed/used in the past and NOW, none of them are "legitimate", i.e. I get the same error message.

Not sure if Paragon monitors this site but would appreciate any help. I don't think I am the problem.

Thanks in advance ...

4. seekforever

Paragon presence on the forum is not guaranteed. Matt Spathes drops in from time to time but I would say only when he has a bit of free time so if you want to get a Paragon response raise a support ticket. They are pretty good at responding.

Have you tried creating a new backup on the same USB drive and see if you can access it?

Can you copy your files to another drive, internal or external, and try from there?

Did you defrag the USB drive between the time you last used the backups and when the problem started? It shouldn't matter but if something got screwed up in the defrag it could be a problem.

5. jldodge

Now I have a real dilemma ... I created a brand new backup and when I restored it the same problem occurred. Now I don't know if there is something with Paragon or Windows.

Any thoughts? Do you think Paragon technical support can help OR are they going to blame it on the Windows installation. Note, I have performed a clean install of Windows so doubt that is the problem.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

6. jldodge

I tried the boot disk again ... this time, Paragon did not recognize my OS disk. It's a RAID 6 setup so I am guessing that Paragon's boot media does not work on a RAID drive. Am I correct?

7. seekforever

According to the Paragon's site under System Requirements it supports:
    "All types of RAIDs (hardware and software)" ​

I don't use RAID so I am of no help in that department.

Only one way to find out how helpful Paragon support will be and that is to raise a support ticket with them. I do mine via their support submission link on their site and have never been asked for payment.

Is your copy of B&R 12 the latest build?

I'm assuming it is a paid copy (?), if so, have you made and are you using the WinPE recovery CD rather than a LInux based one?

Can you Verify an archive?

8. jldodge

I have the latest build and it is a paid version.

I have a boot CD but since I have a RAID 6, the RAID drive is not recognized as a destination drive when I boot from it. I am assuming that is because the drivers are not available and I don't know how to get them onto the boot disk.

I submitted a ticket and will see what they say ...

9. seekforever

If you make the WinPE recovery disk there is the ability to load extra drivers when the WinPE system is being assembled and they will then be on the bootable CD/USB key. I think in the WinPE CD default allows you to add drivers after you boot it up - the old "packaged" one did. Unfortunately with the change in Microsoft's licensing for WinPE it is no longer provided so you have to build your own.

If you haven't, the instructions etc are available via your Paragon Account login. It does require a significant download and installation of the WAIK or its successor from Microsoft to create it.

10. jldodge

Okay ... to bring a bit of closure. Paragon has a special program to download that will create a bootable CD. I also had to download some additional drivers for the Intel RAID setup onto the boot CD. I was able to successfully restore one of the backups that was previously generating the error message.

I'm glad I got it fixed but am frustrated that Paragon did not make the process simple ...

Thanks for your help ... it got me focused on a few things to try and that's how I got it resolved.

11. seekforever

The way I see it is the error message wasn't much of help and pointed more likely to other causes than the real one. The fact that a pre-configured WinPE recovery environment that just requires burning to a bootable media is no longer provided complicated the fix. However, this is now true of all products that used to provide a pre-configured WinPE because of Microsoft's licensing change so it isn't restricted to Paragon.

Glad you got it resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.