Can't Merge or Resize Partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Ladyhawk_LH, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ladyhawk_LH

Ladyhawk_LH Registered Member

OK,

I just bought a 1 TB drive and used Acronis True Image to move my C drive onto it. True Image made a partition the size of the original drive.

The problem is I don't want any partitions on the drive. I tried formatting and merging the partitions and got this message: E000A0460 unable to merge partitions

I searched the forums and tried deleting the logical partition and resizing the bootable primary partition, but it wouldn't let me.

I've used the boot disk to try merging partitions, but it was a no-go. I haven't tried using the boot disk to resize C yet, but I'm getting kind of tired and frustrated.

As you can see by the attached .jpg, both the minimum and maximum size for the partition is the actual size of the partition. I can't adjust it. It won't let me.

The main thing I want is my old C drive on the large 1 TB drive with one partition that uses all the available space.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP3. I'm not sure if that limits what I can do or not.

Help. I'm frustrated.

Attached Files:

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

LadyHawk_LH:

Acronis software will not allow you to resize a partition that contains file system corruption. On the graphic of your partition there is a little red "C" which indicates that DD is detecting a problem with the partition.

To fix, boot into XP and enter the following into a command prompt window:
    Code:
    chkdsk c: /f
    Answer yes to allowing the PC to reboot and perform the disk check. After the disk check finishes and you are back in Windows, check to see if the red "C" symbol is gone.

Assuming that you're successful in getting chkdsk to fix any errors, proceed with resizing your partition to fill the disk. You do not want to perform a "merge" but rather a "resize". Boot to the DD recovery CD and start up in manual mode. Right-click on the partition and choose "Resize". Now you should be able to drag the slider at the right end of the graphic image all the way to the right so that the partition fills the disk. There should be 0 bytes both before and after the partition. Click on the checkered flag to commit. Reboot into Windows and you should now have a 1 TB (931.5 GiB) C: partition.

3. Ladyhawk_LH

Ladyhawk_LH Registered Member

Thanks.

I fixed it by using the Acronis Boot Disc. It would allow me to resize from that environment (no Windows saying, "No, you can't do that.")

It took awhile, but I'm nearly done configuring my 3 new 1 TB drives.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.