Can't make a successful snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by vinn, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinn

vinn Registered Member

I was under the impression that the OS was to be loaded into the empty snapshot. That's why I did not proceed and load it into my C drive and therefore remove the info there. Following is part of screen info just before I stopped loading OS to C drive, using 80 GB hard drive;

Windows 2000 Setup

76317 MB Disk0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on ATApi
    C:NTFS 76309MB (55642 MB free)
    Unpartitioned space 8MB

So I can proceed to install on C drive but do not format NTFS?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  2. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Installed OS and booted empty snapshot. Should I use original system info like name, password etc for new install? Will this prevent me from having to setup internet connection again?

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Personally, I would assume that it doesn't matter what you do.
    FDISR just reboots in this snapshot and you have another new system partition. If the setup is right you will have your internet connection.
    (You always can make a copy of that snapshot and do your tests there.)

4. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Installed OS from CD on C drive without formatting NTFS. Didn't use old macnine name or password for this fresh install. Then system reboot, choose to boot to new (empty) snapshot. This is like a new machine, no Firefox browser only internet explorer. When I click IE it's asking me to set up a new internet connection. Using ADSL. What did I do wrong why can't access internet?

5. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Created empty snapshot to find a fix for not being able to copy snapshots successfully. So need to install FD-ISR and try a snapshot copy.

6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I assume that you need to install drivers for your network interface (and other hardware).
    Yes, this is a clean and fresh Windows installation, like new.
    When you install FD-ISR now in this snapshot, you will be able to boot into your other snapshots.

But the point is that you test if copy/update from this snapshot into a new snapshot will finish with success, with none or few errors.

7. ErikAlbert

I have no experience with empty snapshot, but I have several driver CD's that came with my winXPproSP2-CD and I would install these driver CD's too to make things work.

8. wilbertnl

Usually these drivers are outdated. That's why I talk about downloaded drivers.
    The anchored data feature is really helpful here.

Driver CD's make for nice coasters, though. (bierfiltjes!)

9. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Just noticed that my 14 day trial period has expired. Guess I have to do without FD till an updated version is available.

10. ErikAlbert

My drivers can't be that old, I bought this computer in 2006 and everything is working fine. Even my new router has the latest firmware.

11. wilbertnl

Bootback comes with a 30 day trial: http://www.spursuits.com/bootback/bootback.asp
    Same software, different make-up.

12. wilbertnl

It doesn't matter when you bought your computer, when you do a fresh installation of Windows XP, you will notice how many patches are waiting to get installed, right? The story with drivers isn't much different.

13. ErikAlbert

I totally agree with you, but everything is OLD on my new computer, hardware and software. As long it works, it's OK with me.
    I don't need the latest of everything. I'm still using MS Office 2000, while MS Office 2007 is already there.

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Good grief! Avoiding this sort of thing is the very reason why I even consider a fast restore program. This entire thread is (to me at least) a frightening tale.:blink:

15. ErikAlbert

An empty snapshot has nothing to do with immediate system recovery, it's just an additional feature of FDISR and not a very important one. Until now, I recovered my system without empty snapshots. :)

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

"...do a fresh installation of windows" -- those are the words I had reference to.

To me it seems rather absurd to need to re-install Windows in order to MAYBE attain functionality for a program that ostensibly is designed to avoid the need to re-install Windows.

Oxymorono_O

17. ErikAlbert

If you only need ONE operating system, it is indeed absurd to reinstall for instance winXPproSP2 over and over again in empty snapshots. Normally you use copy/update to do this.
    But this is a test.

18. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Folks, I have never done this, but it makes sense to me, if, after a few years of computing, and having FD to save you from just about everything, you still may have a build up of old, clunky, garbage from all the previous installs and uninstalls remaining all over your system. This UNIQUE feature of FD, which, again, I have never used, and I have never seen with ANY other program, is simply a way of starting fresh, taking your time, rebuilding a new, junk free Windows, while still being able to reboot into your current Snapshot to do your normal, day-to-day stuff. After you are satisfied that you have installed a new, fresh operating system, start using it with the knowledge and insurance that you still have your former goodie Snapshot to boot back into if you forgot something. :cool:

Acadia

19. wilbertnl

This procedure has as purpose to do some analysis with regards to https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=808197&postcount=1
    Nothing else.
    Sometimes you just want to see how software is acting after a startover and without installation/uninstallation history.

Do you need a root canal treatment every half year? No, but sometimes this may be your best option.

20. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Yep that is exactly what I have done. Still have my old system snapshot - has a few things that I use maybe once a month or so but would not install normally

And the new build boots a great deal faster.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.