can't get rid of it

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by joeman, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeman

joeman Registered Member

keep getting pop up box that says windows media motor update press yes.
    there is no YES there is a OK. anyway, weather i click OK or close it out my pc slows and lags. have to restart to get rid of the lag. is this a virus? how do i get rid of it?

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Joeman, and welcome to Wilders.

You've posted in Javacool's SpywareBlaster & Other Forum, but it does not seem your question is related to Javacool's programs. If you could give us a bit more information, error messages, what program is the pop-up box coming from, what you are using at the time this happens, operating system, etc., then I'll be able to better determine which forum to move your post to.

snap

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  3. joeman

joeman Registered Member

it happens mostly when i am in yahoo. i am running xp pro.

4. snapdragin

Are you using any of Javacool's programs - SpywareBlaster or SpywareGuard? What does this pop-up look like?

5. joeman

joeman Registered Member

yes spyblaster, spybot s&d and adaware. it is just a rectangular box with the wording
    "to update windows media motor click yes" and there is a small box tab with OK in it. it has the close out x tab on the top right. it looks just like the typical windows active window except there is no minimise or maximise tabs.
    i was in experts-exchange and there is a person with the same problem but that is a pay site.
    https://secure.experts-exchange.com...pe=all&x=27&y=12&registrationSource=10#signup

6. snapdragin

Hi joeman,

Yes, I just read through the link there and in one of the posts they said it looks like Media-Motor is Adware, and distributed by Roings.

I'll move your thread over to our "Privacy Problems" forum. There will be a "move placeholder" left behind here which you can click on and it will take you to your thread's new location. - Done

You may want to consider going to one of the sites listed in this link: http://a-sap.org/ And post a HijackThis log for review since this sounds like it could be difficult to remove with the automatic removal programs like Spybot S&D and AdAwareSE. Though you can try running both those programs in Safe Mode and see if they pick up anything more.

Also, I would do an on-line virus scan too: Free Services

Let us know if the on-line scan, or running the anti-spyware programs in safe mode helps at all.

Regards,

snap

7. joeman

joeman Registered Member

thank you.....

8. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.