Can't download Zip file ? But can extract via diskette. Help!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chew, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chew

chew Registered Member

Hi Folks

I can't download Zip files to update my Ad-aware SE defs. (nothing wrong with Ad-aware site by the way)

This is the situation:

1) I used WinZip latest and after a few times it died on me. Then ...

2) I tried Powerarchiver 6.11 (the last freeware) and it worked for a while then it stopped working again ...

3) I thought there was a conflict if both were use ... so I un-installed / installed one then vice versa to test out both but still I couldn't get the latest Zip file to download.

4) Then I tried 7-Zip (not the one with malwares i.e. 7-Zip! with Exclaimation mark btw) ... and tried to download from the site but when I tried to extract to the Ad aware SE ... it kept giving me the old defs.

Then I copied the latest downloaded Defs from my girlfriend pc to diskette and opened it with 7-Zip on my PC and it worked. I managed to update to the latest defs.

What really puzzled me was my unable to download the latest zip file from the site... if I could download the latest Zip file 7-Zip could extract it with no problem.

I know there is nothing wrong with 7-Zip because it could extract from diskette and update Ad-aware SE to latest Defs.

So folks any idea what has gone wrong with my system?

Why can't I download the latest defs via net? It kept giving me the old one.

Cheers

Chew o_O

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

That is a good question will have to give it some thought?

3. chew

chew Registered Member

Thank you BigC.

Yes, please help me. I have been sitting here for the last one or two hour trying to figure out what has gone wrong.

I will scan my system now to see if any nasty is lurking around (I scanned yesterday everything was clean)

Cheers

Chew :(

4. bigc73542

I did some searching and what keeps coming up is what a zip file is. I can't find anything as to why a zip file can not be downloaded. A zip file is no different than anyother file except that it is compressed and that should have nothing to do with the way it is downloaded just the way it is opened. You might want to make extra sure that there is no parts of the zip utilities you uninstalled still hanging aroung that might cause a conflict with the one you have now.

bigc

I use zipcentral and it works very well and it is free at the link if all else fails try it and see if will open the file into your program for you. use download site#2

5. chew

chew Registered Member

Thanks BigC for the site and the quick explanation.

OK I am still lost. You see I could download the Zip file but the problem was that it kept giving me the old zip file or the old defs.

No matter which Compression tool I used. WinZip, Powerarchiver and now 7 Zip. It just kept giving the same old defs.

o_O

6. bigc73542

make sure that you clear all of the old archives out of all the temp files and then see if it will use the new files ;)

7. chew

chew Registered Member

BigC

I am using 7-Zip at the moment and I can seem to find anything related to Archive etc., nothing to delete really ...

If I have two compression tools will they have conflict with each other i.e. 7-Zip and Zip Central?

:(

8. chew

chew Registered Member

BigC

Where can you empty the old archieve files?

o_O

9. chew

chew Registered Member

BigC

I just downloade the latest defs from Ad-aware Zip files ... and you can see it is the old defs*.

Anyway of clearing that out?

How?

Please help.

Cheers

:doubt:

P/s: Note* there was a screen shot for the Old Defs here but when I tried to modify it this morning (blank my name out) some how it just disappeared and won't let me upload again.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  10. bigc73542

I can't figure why you are getting the old defs, and you can't autodownload? If not I might be tempted to uninstall adaware and reinstall to see if it might fix you problem.

11. chew

chew Registered Member

This is the downloaded Zip Defs from diskette ...

Look at the date. It is the latest.

o_O

P/s: if it could be opened from the diskette that means the compression tool is fine. Just something is missing. I don't think Ad-aware actually do the downloading.

Attached Files:

12. chew

chew Registered Member

This is the old file ...

:doubt:

P/s: I just removed the old screen shot above and now I can't even get the screen shot on ... I need to sleep now. It's about 3.30am now ...

13. chew

chew Registered Member

BigC

Update for you & everyone reading this.

1) Thank you for Zip Central link BigC. It's rather simple to use and looks good.

2) After waking up this morning. I boot up my pc and it seems to function ... errrm ... at least the Zip Central managed to download the latest defs version from Ad-aware SE site.

3) I have no idea if the problem is still there. But for the time being at least it shows the download date of 25th Oct 04 defs rather than 23th Oct 04 Defs.

So far I have tried the following Compression tools ... hmmm ...

1) WinZip SR-1 ...

- I kept getting problem after few weeks with this one ... hmmm...

2) PowerAchiver 6.11 (last free version)

- It only lasted a while (few weeks) then it developed the same problem as WinZip ... as in this thread. (but I got both WinZip & PowerAchiever installed at that time ... could be a conflict there me think)

3) 7-Zip (Freeware but not 7-Zip! as in one that come with adware - the one with exclaimation mark)

-Powerful tool but a bit complicated for me. I think this is for advance user.

4) Now I am on Zip Central 4.01 (freeware) recommended by BigC.

- So far so good ... time will tell. Very simple to use and looks a bit like errmm ... WinZip, PowerAchiver, WinRAR ...

I just hope I don't have to keep switching compression tools each time I encountered problem. I would have turned into Compression tool user expert in no time if that happens.

So there you go. I am still not sure if the problem is solved but for the time being it looks like the pc has taken care of itself ... hmmm ... o_O

:)

P/s: This is the screen shot now ...

Attached Files:

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

chew, didnt you have a similar problem before? here and here?
    the latest Adaware is 1.05, if you open up adaware it shows you which version you have in the bottom right corner.

sorry if this is a different problem then the ones you've had before. if it is, and you want to try another zip program, two very good free ones are-

http://www.tugzip.com/screenshots.html

http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/izarc.htm

good luck, chew :)

Attached Files:

15. chew

chew Registered Member

iceni60

Cheers for the links. I just hope I don't have to keep switching to other compression tool really. A headache to uninstall some of them. Need to really get everything out using Crap Cleaner ...

My guess is that yesterday I didn't managed to remove the remnant of all the old WinZip files (I think old WinZip have some sort of time limit on them I guess or something). So that must have "infected" PowerArchiever 6.11.

Somehow it even after I stopped using WinZinp and started using PowerAchiver 6.11 ... it actually behaved the same as WinZip. i.e. stop working after so many download. My guess is the remnant from WinZip that might be causing the problem.

However I tried to delete the remnant from the Temp folders but it was grey out and I could not delete them.

Therefore, after I installed 7-Zip I noticed that I could unZipped it from Diskette with latest Defs (I downloaded the Zip Defs from my girlfriend computer to diskette then transfer it to my pc by extracting it using 7-Zip on my pc ... it worked) but when I downloaded it from the site ... the Defs somehow was the old one.

As for Ad-aware Personal SE Build 1.05. Yes, I got the latest. I know the build is fine. No problem there.

But just the downloading bit. By the way, I downloaded and updated my gf's pc with ease 10 mins before I found problem on mine.

I hope this time I managed to sort it out ... otherwise, I might exhaust all the compression tool available.

:D

P/s: Screen Shot of my Ad-aware Build 1.05.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.