Can't create image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by linybob, Sep 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linybob

linybob Registered Member

First of all - I downloaded the Trial Version and I *really, really* want to buy this product. That is - if I can get it to work. The Web site makes it sound like it has the features I need and I badly want to buy it.

BUT! It doesn't even begin to work. If I can get a workaround, I'd buy it. When I start it up, it says in the status bar at the bottom: "Analyzing partition D, C, G, H..." I have 4 disks installed and 4 different O/S's and they all work fine. For this test I am booted into C: and am running Win2K with all the latest Microsoft patches and updates. My True Image version is 8.0/771 (trial).

When I doubleclick "Create Image", it pops up a box that says "Processing, please wait..." and it hangs hard. I have to kill it off manually. I can't believe that this is how it is supposed to work. Any ideas? I'd be perfectly happy to just back up my C: drive, if we could just get that to work, I'd buy it. But the way it is now, it is useless.

Thanks!

2. Tom_USA

Tom_USA Guest

Try to contact the Acronis "support" (outside this forum), wait for an answer and then decide if you want to work with or buy a product from such a company.
    You might as well read through this forum and make a decision then.

3. linybob

It sounds like maybe this isn't the company that I want to get involved with.

What are some competing products that are similar?

I like the scheduling and ability to do incrementals and also to explore backed up images and retrieve individual files. But the product has to be rock solid. I don't have the time or desire to debug yet another product that I buy. (I do that enough at work!)

4. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Symantec Norton Ghost V9 does the same.

I'm new to TI8 from using Ghost 2003 and I've read so many complaints and issues with customer support, but I seem to be one of the lucky ones that hasn't had any problems and subsequently not needed to contact to Acronis tech support.

I've tried Ghost 9 but I find it a bloater, some 30MB of system memory is used while sitting there in the background doing nothing, whereas TI only uses about 1.5MB. Also the rescue disk takes forever to load up and you can only use it to restore, whereas the Acronis one you can use it to create an image and more.

As you have noticed, this isn't a technical comparison as they both seem to do the pretty much the same and I'm not qualified to make a technical comparison but from a user perspective I find TI easier and more flexible. For example with TI you can create an incremental for any existing full image, whereas in Ghost 9 you have to intentionally make a baseline image, otherwise you can't add an incremental. I made the mistake of backing up an OS and then installing lots of apps and then went to make an incremental and discovered I couldn't and could only do another full or create a new baseline. Luckily as I was only testing ghost I was still using my TI8 in parallel.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello linybob,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

Could you please download Acronis Report utility available at http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to support@acronis.com with the description of the problem? This would provide us with information on the hard disk partition structure.

Also can you please make a screen shot when the program hangs and send it to us.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213
    South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis support department
    e-mail: support@acronis.com

Acronis... compute with confidence

6. linybob

Thank you. I will download that exe and use it and try to get a screen capture. I've installed the trial version on two other Win2K PCs and got it to work on them. So my original PC must have something that is confusing TI. The only thing I can think of is that I have Daemon Tools' virtual drive software installed. Perhaps the virtual drive is confusing TI somehow. I'll uninstall that software and see if it helps. I also unmapped all my network drives but that didn't help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.