Can't create DVD backup with ATI 10.0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AVEE8ER, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The fastest way from within Windows is;

Have your external drive attached.

Click on my computer, right click on a drive, zap down to properties, left click enter a name of your choice in the top text panel under the General tab.

Repeat for each drive.

For those people who like console commands, this can be done either form a CMD box, or in console mode and type label [drive letter] name you want to call it For NTFS you can have a 32 character name for FAT32 only 11.

Colin

2. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

Bodgy,

Thanks... actually, right clicking the E: drive in "My Computer" provides me with the "Rename" option which then took care of things. Called it "BACKUP_HDD" and Windows added (E)

And, notwithstanding the Linux/Windows differential with drive ID's, I expect all will agree that when you have the appropriate drive on the command line, such as E:\MyBackup1.1tb the drive letters in the tree structure when in Recovery is of little consequence.

3. sylerner

sylerner Registered Member

The problem isn't unique to the Linux based version.

I also created a BartPE disk with the Acronis plugin. I had the same problem as with Linux - both IDE and USB CD and DVD writers were incorrectly recognized as CDROM drives.

I'm able to work around this by backing over over the network to another machine and then burning the files to DVD, but I would much rather burn directly to DVD from the stand alone version.

4. sylerner

An interesting follow-up to my last post.

While the official BartPE plugin that comes with ATI 10.0 shows the same problem of thinking that writers are read-only devices, when I try the version of the plugin from http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/ I get different - but not yet usable - results.

When I use the latter plugin, there are two major changes. First, all normally invisible partitions (such as a diagnostic utility partition and a Dell system restore partition) show up as drives, not only in ATI but in all BartPE programs.

The second change is that CD-RW and DVD-RW drives are recognized as such.

The bad news is ATI fails with a write error just as it's finishing up writing out a backup. I haven't had time to examine this in detail, but I'm wondering if it's failing while trying to write a log entry to the boot CD? (The reason I suspect this is that this version of the ATI plugin hangs when starting while it tries to delete out of date log entries, and remains hung until I click on the window which results in ATI finishing its initialization. I suspect this too is a result of trying to deal with log files on the boot CD.)

I switched from Ghost 2003 to ATI because of problems working with newer USB 2.0 chipsets in its DOS mode. I had been led to believe that the full version of ATI running on Linux would allow me to do standalone offline backups of my system without the hassles of trying to get DOS drivers that often don't even exist. So far, while I like the UI and overall functionality, my inability to perform an offline back up in standalone mode with ATI 10.0 remains a major disappointment.

5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

I use version 9 b3677 with Mustang's plugin and haven't seen any issues. Mustang just recently updated them for some issues discussed here http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16411&pid=125641&st=100&#entry125641. Are you using this latest version?

6. sylerner

Yes, I'm using the latest version of ATI, Mustang's plugin and the BartPE builder.

Regretfully, after an initial email asking for some screenshots and a data dump, I've not heard anything from Acronis for almost a week.

7. FirebirdTN

FirebirdTN Registered Member

Not good....I just purchased this software today to backup a fresh Linux installation to DVD, and I have the same issue.

Thinking the PC was maybe too new, I tried the ATI boot CD in my 2-3 year old laptop with the same results...

8. sylerner

Contact Acronis support - they have a beta version that is supposed to fix the problem. (I just received it today and haven't had a chance to test it yet.)

9. sylerner

A quick follow-up: the new beta version does indeed recognize my DVD burner when backing up, and was able to successfully back up to DVD and verify the backup.

I have not yet tried restoring with this version yet.

So it looks like they finally have a handle on this problem.

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hmm, it would be nice if Acronis applied this fix to their final build (3854) of TI 9.0 Home. As it stands, that particular build has a major problem with detecting CD/DVD drives correctly. Testing of v9 Build 3854 refers.

Regards

11. cybersayer

cybersayer Registered Member

This is kinda complex and some explanation is probably useful: I have a friend living a long way away (Australia) who has taken her XP machine to a backyarder who installed Acronis on it and now she is unable to use either of her optical drives. Typical message is "drivers aren't installed". Is there any workaround which I could do via XP's remote assistance to restore functionality of her (IDE) CD & DVD drives?

Personally I have no experience with Acronis but I can usually work my way through most software apps.

Any help would be so very much appreciated by this lovely person and myself,

TIA

12. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

If you think it is relevant, any clues as to what one of these might be may help :rolleyes: Is this someone who lives in someone elses backyard.

The first thing I would do is to remove True Image and see if the fault goes away. You may need to check the registry has been cleaned up after this too.

F

13. sylerner

I wouldn't be surprised if this "backyarder" installed a hacked or otherwise illegal copy on her machine.

Despite all the difficulties I had getting ATI10 to back up to an optical drive, it never did anything to interfere with their normal operation under Windows.

Definitely uninstall and see if that helps.

There does seem to be a universal principle involved here. All too often, getting set up to be able to make backups of your machine seems to cause it to die before you finish getting set up and backed up. The last time I installed a tape drive on a machine that was in desperate need of being backed up, the hard drive was corrupted beyond recovery when I booted it up! (Lesson learned: don't assume that you can change SCSI cards to a different vendor w/o messing up your drive!)

Good luck getting things sorted out.

14. foghorne

and I still haven't got a clue what a "backyarder" is. Someone who performs wrestling in their backyard? No wonder they are having computer problems.:rolleyes:

F.

15. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I don't know Mr 'F' are you being antideluvian :) . I think he means someone who makes a bit of money on the side, who has a little bit of knowledge or enough to bugger up your PC in his garden shed or bedroom, using naughty copies of software as he is not a legitimate business.

Colin

16. foghorne

Thanks for the definition Colin. Not sure whether not understanding a word which is not used in my part of the world (I'm from England and speak English) makes me antidiluvian or not.

F.

17. goldrush76

goldrush76 Registered Member

This is a real shame because I was looking forward to switching to ATI after reading a lot of good ATI reviews. I have no clue how the reviews have been so conculsive over Ghost when ATI cannot even perform the most basic type of backups effectively, i.e. - CD & DVD. The current TI10 trial doesn't recognize my CDRW or DVDRW drives at all (doesn't matter which I boot from), in either safe or full mode. The TI9.1 workstation provided by my job recognizes my optical drives, but it finds my DVDRW to be a CDRW. I tried putting in DVD-R and DVD+R media anyhow because even though it says "CD" in the lefthand tree, the program does read the label as "LITEON DVDRW" or whatever... no use though. Even though people are saying a lot of good things about ATI ability to use USB and Network drives, I am really not much interested in a half-functional piece of software. The change in drive letters I understand, so I can write that off without a complaint as long as the restores work properly. For now, *all* current builds of ATI Home or ATI Workstation are not functioning properly with DVD recognition (and in the case of Home, no optical recognition at all) on my system. By the way, the whole deal with removing the "-quiet" parameter and then entering "product" on the linux command line doesnt do anything useful either.

I know a lot of people around this forum have written that they don't trust CD/DVD backups but I have never had a problem with any of my Ghost backups at all. I don't know how people treat their CD/DVD backups but I do tend to keep them in jewel cases instead of just flying around my desk like a few other things, lol. Don't get me wrong, I also have disk based backups but I do like to have a bare-bones DVD bakcup available and I don't think it's so much to ask from Acronis in this day and age to have this simple thing available... ESPECIALLY the capability to make your restore media self-bootable like Ghost. I always found that to be handy. After all, what if Windows installation CDs weren't bootable and you always had to have a bootable DOS floppy around? LOL!!!!!!!!!

Yes I have a wonderful Western Digital 120GB passport external USB drive but I don't want to be forced to use that. Any member or tech support insisiting "why dont you just get an external drive or do a disk backup" is NOT the answer. Yes it works. That does NOT excuse Acronis from publishing FAULTY SOFTWARE!!!!!!

I am not trying to be a prick here, I think that ATI has a lot of potential, but please don't bother us with what is essentially now false advertising a functional product. I thought that Microsoft was the only company that made a habit of that. LOL :)

I really wanted to switch to Acronis but it looks like I will have to wait. I haven't decided whether or not I want to test out the external or network backups yet. I am just exhausted from hours of troubleshooting these issues only to arrive at writing this post. *sigh*

18. sylerner

Regarding ATI declaring that a DVD drive is a CD - once I got a beta that worked with backing up to optical, even though it labeled the drive as a CDRW, it backed up to DVD media without any problems.

Regarding the trial version - when I tried it before purchase, it intentionally disabled backup from the bootable "rescue media". I'm guessing that this is since because the trial version could be used indefinitely in that mode. (Versus the version in Windows where they are able to time out.)

My understanding from others is that backup to optical worked in prior versions, but something in ATI Home 10 broke it.

In any case, they have a working version in the pipeline, once it passes QA.

And while I had used Ghost for years, the current versions don't support backing up from outside of windows (a must in my book in order to make sure that nothing gets skipped and that all files are consistent - something that's really impossible if Windows is running), and Ghost 2003 was failing to recognize USB 2.0 devices reliably.

ATI works like a charm in that regards, and also allows me to back up to another machine via network, so I don't need to burn media when I just need the backup for a short period. (I frequently am wiping and reloading my machines, and this allows me to move things back most easily.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.