Cant create a new partition on XP

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by g-spot-web, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g-spot-web

g-spot-web Registered Member

Hi all

I'm trying to create a new partition from part of an existing partition on my XP Pro computer. Disk Director (DD) goes through all the motions yet when my PC finally reboots there is no new partition. Help!!

The icon of the disk has a red flag above it but I'm not sure if that affects anything. I'm sure if was a problem then DD would alert me when I try to create the new partition.

Any ideas?

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Red Flag = Active partition . IE: The partition you boot your OS from.

Your new partition should show a green flag, with the abbreviation ' pri' for primary after it. If you have no flag and no 'pri' then the partition is an extended one made from a logical drive.

Colin

3. g-spot-web

Thanks for that. It is my main partition that is showing the red flag which is fair enough. Unfortunately Acronis will still not create a new partition.

As I mentioned in another thread:

Acronis goes through the motions of creating a new partition but once the computer has rebooted there is no new partition.

I checked the log files and found each time "Operation terminated by User" but I am not terminating the operation.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Are you absolutely positive, you clunked the chequered flag icon?

I know this might sound insulting, but could you list how you go about setting up the new partition using DD10?

This would help to see if there is something simple that we're overlooking.

Colin

5. g-spot-web

This is the step by step account I sent to Acronis support along with supporting screenshots. Unfortunately I dont have the time or the patience to put these shots onto a website so readers of this thread can see them.

1. Open Disk Director Suite (see image 1)
    2. Click on the "Create Partition" wizard (see image 2)
    3. Select the Disk (see image 2 also)
    4. Select the partition and clcik next (see image 3)
    5. After DD analyzes the partition I choose the partition size and click next (see image 4)
    6. I choose logical as the partition type and click next (see image 5)
    7. I choose NTFS as the file system and click next (see image 6)
    8. I select D: as the drive letter for the new partition and click next (see image 7)
    9. I enter a name for the new volume and click next (see image :cool:
    10. I then review the structure and click Finish (see image 9)
    11. The Disk Director window now includes a new partition on Disk 1 (see image 10)
    12. I then click on the Commit icon (the chequered flag) and then click Proceed (see image 11)
    13. I am then prompted to reboot the computer (see image 12)
    14. The computer then reboots and goes through some procedures before windows restart ( I cant take a screen grab of this )
    14. No partition has been created (see image 13)
    15. Look at the log file - Operation terminated by user at exactly the same time Windows reboots (see image 14)

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello g-spot-web,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send me a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

7. crimany

crimany Registered Member

Can you further post whatever the resolution is?

I am having the EXACT same problem. I create the partition just like g-web did. It tells me I need to reboot. I reboot. It does it's thing (analyzing partitions, etc.). Then boots back to WinXP.

But no partition. And I to get the "User Aborted" log message (which i didn't do, as far as I am aware).

This is being done on a brand new install of WinXP, SP2, with all drivers updated.
    It's being done on a SATA drive.
    The drive is 300gb; and I'm trying to make a 15gb partition (though size doesn't seem to make a difference, as all sizes fail).

So, if you could post the response to the problem here as well, I would apprecaite it!

--c

8. toffeeman

toffeeman Registered Member

Exactly the same here too. tried half a dozen times now with the same results. The last time, I wasn't even in the room but it still says I cancelled the operation........

9. Dave_curry

Dave_curry Guest

I also am having this problem. Can the guys at Acronis be a bit more forward with what is going on here. I see some of the other threads with people getting refunds. Don't know what I should be doing?

10. Acronis Support

Hello crimany, toffeeman and Dave_curry,

I'm afraid that I cannot find that case at the moment, because I don't know the request number.

Most likely the reason of the problem was that some kind of software locked the access to the hard drive. That is why Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 was not able to finish the operation. In most cases such a problems relate to a particular software of a particular user.

So I can only recommend you to download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

11. toffeeman

toffeeman Registered Member

I submitted a report earlier but I did not know of the various reports etc. So. I will wait until asked for them by support and submit them then, rather than create an additional issue.

I will report the resolution here for others, but would urge them to do the same as the solution may depend on which antivirus or malware programme is being run I suspect. FWIW I use PCTools Spyware Doctor. I have Acronis PE installed now but it was not installed at the time of my original post here.

Dave

12. guenter

guenter Registered Member

hi,

i have the same problem using version 9
    after reboot there is no harddisk found, so the system is rebooting once again and it´s like nothing happened

is there any resolution out already??

thanks for helping me

guenter

13. Acronis Support

Hello guenter,

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (554) of Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0.

Please do the following to get the latest build:

- Go to the Updates section of Acronis web site at.

- Enter your registration e-mail and password. If you forgot your password, please follow the link.

- Download the latest available build of your Acronis product.

If you have not registered your product on our web site yet, we recommend to do it in order to receive free updates and technical support.

- Choose "Product registration".

- Enter the serial number for your Acronis product in the corresponding field.

- With your product registered, you will have access to the latest build at "Product updates".

If you already use the latest build then please update Acronis Drivers and follow my instructions from my previous post.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.