Can't connect after uninstalling McAfee

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jeepdriver, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeepdriver

jeepdriver Registered Member

First off, I can only get dialup where I live. I have one machine with XP Home as the internet gateway. I have 2 more pc's for myself, one with Win XP Pro and the other with Ubuntu 8.04. My wife has her own machine with Win XP media center 2005. My 2 grandchildren each have their own pc's. All of these connect to the internet thru the Win XP Home machine. I run McAfee Total Protection 2008 on all except the linux pc. I have been considering ESET Smart Security when my McAfee sub runs out in December. Anyway, on 9-26, (last Thursday), McAfee downloaded an update on the internet gateway computer, which required a restart. The machine was real slow to reboot and after it booted it was real sluggish. Could not get any programs to come up and did not want to dialup to the internet. I rebooted into last known good configuration and the machine was a little better to respond, but not much. I ran System Restore and then I was able to connect to the internet. It is still slow, took 2 hours to run Lavasoft Adaware when it normally takes 15 minutes. Further more the other computers would not connect to the internet, share my printer or files. Ran the internet connection wizard on the gateway computer and the other machines could connect, no problem. The next morning, (Friday), I noticed McAfee was downloading and installing Total Protection, virusscan, firewall, etc. As soon as it finished, McAfee was telling me my computer was not fully protected, I opened McAfee and it was disabled. I clicked on the fix button and after a few seconds it was telling me it could not fix the problem due to an error. I ran McAfee Virtual Technician and it said I had some missing files and it could not fix them. It told me to uninstall McAfee and reinstall it. Instead I purchased ESET Smart Security for 5 pc's. I downloaded it and burned it to a cd. I also downloaded the McAfee uninstaller from the link on the ESET website. I started with my grandson's computer and ran the McAfee uninstaller which required a reboot after the uninstall. After rebooting, the network connection icon in the system tray was showing limited or no connection. I manually configured the ip address, subnet mask, and the gateway, which then it showed it was connected at 100 Mbps, but, it will not connect to the internet or the other computers on my network. I then installed ESS and ran a scan it showed no infections. Now I'm hesitant to uninstall McAfee on the other computers, if it's going to make me lose my network connection. Anyone have any ideas ? I would appreciate it.

2. jeepdriver

Just checked my gateway computer, and McAfee is using 90% of my cpu cycles. I would contact McAfee if it wasn't for the fact that I know they probably will not give me much help when they learn that I'm uninstalling their product to install another.

3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

You may need to take the additional step of resetting the network stack per Microsoft Knowledgebase Article #299537, "How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP" after installing McAfee's antivirus software.

How are your computers networked together? Judging from the description, it sounds like you might be using Internet Connection Sharing.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

4. jeepdriver

Thanks for the reply. I will check out the Microsoft article. Yes I am using Internet Connection Sharing, since I only have dial-up. Been looking at satellite internet, but they all get poor customer reviews. My grandson's computer is working fine now. He can access the internet, e-mail, and share files and my printer. Just uninstalled McAfee from my wife's machine, and installed Eset Smart Security on it. It is working just fine. I did enable interactive mode on the firewall. So, now I need to uninstall McAfee and install ESS on 3 other computers and see how that turns out. Thanks again.

5. jeepdriver

I have the three other machines switched over to Eset Smart Security and as long as I have the firewall in interactive mode on all the machines, everything works fine.
    Bye-Bye McAfee !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.