Can't Clone Drive with Ver 9

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by centerfield, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmontroy

dmontroy Registered Member

I am a first time user of any disk imaging software so when the cloning didn't work, I just assumed it was my fault and that I did something wrong. Sure glad for this thread talking about the USB quirk. I had 2 external USB disk drives and about 7 other USB devices. I only unplugged the 2 USB drives (one was plugged into the USB of the chassis and the other plugged in a USB hub) The cloning worked right away (It was at 70% done at last check) after I eliminated the USB drives from the equation. Unfortunatly I bought the software without doing the free trial first. It was recommended on the Kim Komando site as good back-up and disk imaging software. I hope Acronis gets a fix quickly for the problem and not overlook it due to a work around found by a user.

2. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Pardon me for my " Misnomer Terminology", what I really want to ask is if I clone my entire Old HD [ to ensure that the MBR is also image] to a USB 2.0 External HD, and later clone it back to a NEW HD, with the external USB HD still attached externally to the PC, Will I have any problems.??
    Thanks for your patience

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Terminology is obviously still a problem.
    What you are describing is best achieved by creating a complete IMAGE of your HDD to a USB drive and then restoring the IMAGE to a new HDD. To use Cloning to do this operation in the way you describe is not appropriate and certainly not the best method.

Xpilot

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

When you "Clone" you create a duplicate of the source drive on the destination drive. This will cause Win 2K/XP to throw a wobbly if it finds both the original and cloned drives connected at the same time.

You do not have to use TI's "Clone" function just to ensure that the MBR is picked up. Use TI's "Backup" function to create an image of the whole disk to your external HD. To ensure the MBR is included in the image just make sure you tick the checkbox next to the Disk Number (usually Disk 1) when creating the image, rather than just ticking the system partition. The same applies when subsequently restoring the image back to a new HD - ensure you tick the checkbox adjacent to Disk 1 when selecting what to restore. See this previous reply in the thread titled <Does TI9 copy the MBR> for explanatory screenshots.

Unfortunately, TI does not automatically resize the partition(s) if restoring an image file to a larger replacement disk. Therefore you will either need to use suitable Partition Management software or one of the following workarounds in order to utilise all the extra disk space:

1. Original disk consists of a single partition - See this <previous reply>.

2. Original disk consists of multiple partitions - See this <previous reply>.

Regards

5. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Got it!, thanks again for your patience Menorcaman, for taking the time to explain it to me again, I am kinda "slow " and I have NOt done this before.
    I will Print this out, cause I will be embarking on this project very soon.Appreciate it.

6. darcya

darcya Registered Member

I have tried this but have the following USB attachments. Scanner, Keyboard, Card Reader Printer, USB hard drive, & palm. I also find that I get a MBR Error 3 when cloning using Acronis True Image 9. This also requires me to fix this using my windows XP disk & run Fixmbr each time. It is totally unacceptable that I have to disconnect all my peripherals in order to clone a disk and then run Fixmbr. None of these problems existed on Acronis V8. I do not have a licence for V8 as I used the trial verson, was happy with it then purchased V9. A big mistake!

7. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

It could also be the usb port that you had those usb externals connected to. Or even the total number of usb devices may make a difference. Did you try disconnecting your other usb devices, but leave the two externals connected?

8. hasafraker

hasafraker Registered Member

I have a new wrinkle for you. After Norton Ghost failed to get the job done I googled for some other type of disk imaging solution and found TI. I thought great, I'll give this a run and see what happens. Here's the issue, I have a laptop with a 20g drive that is full. We purchased a new 80g drive and since there is only 1 slot for a hdd in this laptop the only way to connect the drive to be cloned is via USB. So I'm guessing I'm totally out of luck? If I connect the drive to another system via the second IDE controller does anybody think I'll have more luck? I don't want to tear up a system and go through the motions just to find out that it's not going to work. When I originally ran TI it did the exact same sort of thing others in this tread are reporting, checking partition info etc, looked like it was working, eventually it said success! and rebooted. When I swapped the drives, the system doesn't boot, swap the drive back and pull it up in windows explorer and there is no data on it at all. At least I haven't purchased yet I'm on day 14 of my trial.

9. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You really should have started your own topic ... anyway ... if Cloning doesn't work, try making an Image Backup instead. This, of course, requires a third hard drive to hold the Image. Re: the loss of data on the original drive, you might have accidentally checked the box that deletes the data rather than the one that says to leave the original data intact.

And btw, you should do all these TI procedures using the bootable Rescue CD. But there is a limitation on the Trial version ... check other topics for more info.

10. AllanSoftwareQA

AllanSoftwareQA Registered Member

I wish I had seen this thread earlier, I couldn't clone one SATA drive to the other because I had an external USB drive attached to the system. I have other USB devices, printer,mouse and scanner attached and they didn't cause any difficulty.

Seems like someone wrote in VB and used the On Error Goto END: and the end was the success screen. I spent a good 5Hrs fooling with this. Where do I submit the bill for my time?

11. wsalopek

wsalopek Registered Member

So am I.

When I first installed True Image 9, I was able to clone my notebook's hard drive just fine to a USB hard drive.

Then I plugged my notebook into my "desktop setup" where I use an external monitor, and several USB devices...keyboard, Webcam, Pocket PC, etc.

I then tried several times to clone my notebook hard drive (to a different USB hard disk...not the same USB disk as the first, successful attempt), True Image goes thru the motions and says "success", but in reality, no cloning was done.

I'm going to disconnect all the USB devices except the USB hard drive and see what happens.

12. wsalopek

wsalopek Registered Member

Well that was it...after I disconnected all my USB devices, except for the USB hard drive and a wireless USB mouse, the cloning proceeded normally and successfully.

It would be interesting to know which one or more (or combination) of my USB devices caused TI to fail.

For the record, my USB devices are:

USB hub x 2
    Soundblaster USB Sound gizmo
    USB keyboard
    Wireless USB mouse
    USB Pocket PC sync cradle
    USB hard drive
    USB audio/video wireless remote control
    USB Webcam
    USB iPod connection

I think that's it.

I don't think the iPod or the webcam were connected when TI failed to clone, but the rest were connected.

13. dld

dld Registered Member

Here are a couple of links to posts by Acronis Support giving assurances that those with problems with TI 9 would be given access to TI 8.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=587637&postcount=7
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=597480&postcount=5

14. Zuik

Zuik Registered Member

Is Acronis going to fix this problem? I also cannot clone disk 1 to disk 2. Latest build 3666.

Wayne

15. LRR81765

LRR81765 Registered Member

Wow,. I am glad that I am not alone. I have been a TI user since 6 and was pretty happy. UNtil now. I have attempted to clone my HD at least 6 times now, without sucess.

I have tried doing the chkdsk, fixing a problem with my MBR, in windows, from the recovery CD, and even holding my mouth just a certain way :)

Setup is XP Pro on a HP laptop, clone to a USB. One thing that I did notice, the dos version is WAY faster. HOURS faster. THe newly cloned drive appears to have all of the the data, but it doesn't boot. Some error like "Error attempting to read drive" or something like that.

Since I make my living on this pc and it takes so long to do the clone and find out it is bad, it has taken something like 4 weeks to try these.

Frustrating !

16. drjamison

drjamison Registered Member

Man I wish I read this forum first too. I have the same problem with cloning in version 9. Like the others, unplugging all of my usb devices except the mouse, allows me to clone fine. Hope it gets fixed soon...

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Zuik and LRR81765,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If that does not help then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

You can also create the bootable rescue media with the latest build and try to clone your hard drives in rescue mode.

Please note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

If the problem still persists, please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please keep both source and destination hard drives connected while creating Acronis Report.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.