Can't burn Linux to DVD?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have had the worst time in the world lately trying to burn Linux of any flavor as an ISO to a DVD!! I tried using the amd 64bit installation for Debian. How do i burn this file as an ISO to create an installation disk? I can not find any good literature on how to burn the installation disk. I have Linux DVD's laying everywhere around here that I have burned in the past, and for what ever reason I can't get them to burn anymore. I've tried burning Ubuntu, Mint, and Debian to a DVD with no success. I tried all the different installation options offered. Also, this is off topic with my question, but I also tried installing Mint, and Ubuntu as a dual boot OS, and the installation terminated itself everytime. It didn't give no error message or any reason. It just terminated. The installation just vanished into thin air. The installation progress bar just disappeared, and I have no clue why. This happened over, and over again. I just used Ubuntu 6 months ago to create a dual boot OS with no problems! Has something changed? I'm really frustrated with Linux right now. I've tried using all installation options available! I'm trying to use Imgburn to create the install DVD. I want to use the DVD to create a VM to use with VMware. I can't since I can't even get the DVD to burn! What am i doing wrong? Here is an image of the debian installation package. How do I burn this to a DVD?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  2. Cutting_Edgetech

I may have found a solution to my own problem. I will report back after I see if it works or not.

3. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

That looks like a extracted iso.
    Have you tried wubi? look here
    If you have a usb stick large enough for the image you could try unetbootin. look here
    Both apps will download the iso and do the magic!

:isay: FWIW every distro that I have used I installed with UnetBootIn besides Slackware, for which I had to use the cd's.

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, i tried Wubi. It would not work on the PC i tried it on. The installer just terminated, and vanished into thin air during the installation process. This happened shortly after entering a password, and the progress bar appearing. That was when i was trying to install Ubuntu as a dual boot OS. Now i'm only trying to burn either Ubuntu, Mint or Debian to a DVD. I'm going to use the DVD to create a VM to use with VMware. I can't believe i can't get the disk to burn! I'm downloading Debian again so when it's finished i may try the other program you mentioned. Thanks!

5. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Cutting EdgeTech, please follow the instructions here from Ubuntu Documentation. It tells you to download the free and open source Infra Recorder for Windows. It is simple and it works.
    Your burner has been unzipping the iso image, which makes it not work.

6. Cutting_Edgetech

When i download the installation it is recognized by Winrar. If I click on it it is then extracted. Should it be recognized by my ISO burning software before extracting? I will be out of town until after Christmas so this project will have to be put on hold until i return. Thanks anyways!

7. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

You don't extract the compressed file, install http://www.imgburn.com/ and you'll see the Winrar file is an ISO :) Burn with ImageBurn and be on your way to happiness :cool:

8. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

So you can burn an image to a dvd, and it starts to boot?
    Can you run it as a live cd?
    Have you checked the md5sum of the iso you downloaded?
    You do know to write the iso to disk, not just as a file (I ask because I have done that in the past). In imgburn that is the "write image file to disk" option.

Do you at least get to the boot screen? If you are entering a password somewhere, I'm guessing yes, and you have burned the disk correctly.

Try changing the startup options to use -nomodeset. That gets around some graphics card issues. I had to use that to get linux mint to load. Live or install would not work without it.

9. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Exactly. Just associate ISO files with a burn program like (my favourite) Imgburn.
    When installing Winrar, you probably let it associate with ISO files also.

10. Cutting_Edgetech

FastGame, I have Imgburn installed, and I already tried that. It did not worko_O I have been using Imgburn since Dvddecrypter stopped being developed. I think I may know what the problem is now. When I get back I will check to see if my theory is right. The two computers I tried to burn the Linux DVD on has a trial version of Winrar, and the trial has expired. I am still able to use it, but I get the prompt notifying me that the trial has expired. I have been using it like that for several months. I get the prompt notification, and I have been closing it because I still have been able to extract the content of archive even though Winrar has expired. I believe the prompt is interfering with the archive as being recognized as an ISO by Imgburner. I would be willing to bet that has been the problem all along. I will be gone until the 26th so when I get back I will test my theory. Thanks anyways!

11. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

You don't need to extract the ISO, just burn it. Uninstall winrar and install IMGburn as suggested. Then select the ISO and burn. Also make sure to verify the integrity of the ISO before and after this process.

12. Cutting_Edgetech

I do believe Winrar has been the problem all along. I believe the ISO burn was not engaging due to Winrar's notification prompt notifying me that my trial version had expired. I was still able to use Winrar even though the trial had expired by closing the notification prompt. I did not realize it would interfere with proper functioning of other applications. Thanks for everyone's assistance!

13. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

hello Cutting_Edgetech

please

dont open or extract burn it as image file what ever burner you have burn as option called burning image file if that not working that change your software burner if even that not work then try to put a dust removing cd in your burner and clean it lens

also please burn at 8, 12 or 16 x speed it make your burner long life and trouble free burning little bit slow but you hardly have trouble in your cd :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.