Can't believe I'm considering caving into ESET over ekrn.exe!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ratchet, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I actually found myself sending them an email about the upgrade to Smart Security after reading: "ESET Smart Security's Personal firewall provides bidirectional firewall protection with intrusion detection features." How did they build their firewall? Since they built v3 with this ekrn proxy issue, they should have offered their loyal customers a free firewall and that isn't going to happen!

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

why would you expect a free upgrade in functionality? That's like asking you car manufacturer to upgrade your car from a base model to a deluxe model with 4x4. You get the latest v3.0 for free - if you want the extra functionality, sorry - it costs.

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Poor Analogy!
    #1) Because they've screwed ten's of thousands of NOD32 users who had functionality and security with their firewall of choice.
    #2) These firewalls have been rendered pointless because of ekrn.exe
    #3} Since many security software companies offer free firewalls. PC Tools, Webroot, Check Point to name a few. Relatively common compared to your analogy!

4. avenger107

avenger107 Registered Member

I caved in much earlier, while the products were still in official beta.

It seemed to me that proxy method for http scanning would make the firewall in ESS a tight fit, and put any other software firewalls at a disadvantage. I resolved early on that a decision to move ahead with v.3 would also involve moving to ESS.

While this moves me a bit more towards a suite than I was formerly comfortable with, ESS runs smooth and lighter for me than 2.7 with a third party software firewall did. The ESS firewall is adequate, especially since I am already behind a hardware firewall. Personally, I am glad to see them move to newer technology that should wind up being more effective and hopefully cause fewer problems overall. The former technology IMON had (has) plenty of it's own issues.

So far, I have no regrets, but I do wish that ESET made a more attractive upgrade offer to existing customers.

5. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

Your lucky we in the land downunder can't buy the suite, they say we will be given it free!

Just one small catch, a quote from their site in Oz

"NOTE: There is currently no online purchase option for Eset Smart Security. Australian customers will be able to upgrade free when ESET creates the upgrade path. "

6. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

One of the reasons I got rid of my Sygate firewall was that proxys turned it into a questionable security device. Now apparently EKrn exe creates the same scenario. Since I am not able to upgrade at this time to ESS I am now going to have to either use 2.7 which I admit does provide great security & will continue to do so for a while at least or get a new AntiVirus. Since the removal of the firewall from ESS creates one of the worst security issues possible and now allows Ekrn exe to assume the functions of a firewall when it is not a Firewall I can only think that security organizations will when they review this product be very reluctant to recommend it . This is certainly one good reason to not release version 3 without the use of the integrated firewall., Why ESET chose to release this product as an AV only is puzzling to me. The removal of the firewall in fact creates a tunnel through any firewall. How could that be good? Notice that I did not say the ESET should have given away a Free Suite as an upgrade only that the version 3 AV should never have been released as a seperate product.

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

you can stay with v2.7 - there is no-one FORCING YOU to upgrade to v3.0 if it doesn't work for you. The v2.7 will remain supported for a pretty long time, as it is the legacy OS version and will be for the foreseeable future (at least that's the words we got from the VP of sales for Eset here).

Eset ALSO provided a free scanner.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

We do have an ongoing thread discussing this matter and is best if We can keep it confined in one place Please.

So as not to have dupe discussions ongoing whether it be ones actual findings and\or their personal requests to Eset concerning the matter,We'll bring this thread to a close..

Ongoing thread---> Nod32 v3: Software firewall made useless b/c all connections are running through v3?

Thanks,
    Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.