Can't back up a partition

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Tafflad, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tafflad

Tafflad Registered Member

I used a partition manager to create 2 partitions per HDD.
    Now trying to use your Drive Backup Program.

On HDD I have 2 identical partitions, I use Disk 0 to give me OS partition of C:
    I have a similar partition on Disk 2 to give me D: ‘OS back up’
    D: partition is empty,
    (see attached screen shot) http://s771.photobucket.com/albums/xx351/Tafflad/?action=view¤t=diskpartions.jpg

What I want to do is take a partition back up of C: and put it in D: ... giving me a back up OS in case of future problems ...a typical scenario for the program I think.

With D: empty there is loads of spare capacity ........... however when I click on the ‘partition back up ‘ button on your program, it initiates but throws up error :
    “Wizard did not find unallocated space where a new copy can be created ....”

Do I need to delete the D: partition to allow back up ? ..... your help appreciated.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

If you are making a COPY of a partition - you need unallocated space to copy it to.

If you are making an IMAGE of a partition - you can store the image file ( it's called an archive file ) on any partition, just like any file.

( You might be beteer shrinking the source partition a tiny bit before making an image, to be sure it isn't larger than the destination - they say they are the same in Disk management , but there may be a tiny difference )

Hope it helps.

3. Tafflad

Tafflad Registered Member

Sounds like it is an image that I need ... to enable rapdi restore ... How do I make an image with Paragan Drive Backup

4. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

to create and image (backup) you need to:
    * run Backup Disk or Partition wizard
    * select your C:/ partition to backup
    * set partition D:/ as destination
    * follow the wizard to Finish
    * press Apply

It will create folder with archiму file/files inside on D:/, which will be displayed in Archives tab of Drive Backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.