Can't access any Chinese websites

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roger_m, Jul 24, 2018.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I have a strange problem that started a few days ago, where I am unable to access any Chinese websites on my main laptop.

If I boot into Safe Mode with Networking, or am using my phone or any of my other laptops, I have no issues. But, when I boot normally, I am unable to connect to any Chinese websites. When I enter the URL, or even the IP address of a Chinese website, my computer spends about 12 seconds trying to connect to website, before giving up. It is not browser specific and the same thing happens when trying to ping websites.

The following is an example of what is displayed in Chrome.
    I am using both a VPN and Comodo Firewall. However the issues persists, when both of these are disabled.

I am certain that my computer is malware free. I have run a number of scanners such as Malwarebytes, Zemana, HitmanPro, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, TDSS Killer, ESET Online Scanner, Panda Cloud Cleaner, etc and they all say my computer is clean. I've also run Complete Internet Repair, which didn't help.

I could resolve the problem quite easily, by restoring from a working backup. However, I don't want to do this, as if I can actually fix the problem, I will learn something.

It is only affecting websites based in China and for example I can access websites from Hong Kong.

The only major changes I have made to my system recently, are installing and uninstalling a trial of Webroot SecureAnywhere. I am at a complete loss, as to what could be causing the issues.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  2. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Does your DNS server resolve domain to address? What DNS server do you use?
    Code:
    nslookup www.somechinesedomain.cn
    What this command prints (of course change domain to real domain)?

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@reasonablePrivacy It turned out to be a DNS server issue. I'm changed the DNS server setting for my WiFi adapter to automatic and it's fixed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.