Cannot View Scan Logs

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Wonkabear, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonkabear

Wonkabear Registered Member

I am using NOD32, version 3.0.650.0 with all the latest database updates installed.

My system is Windows XP SP3 (32 bit) with AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor 3800+ (2010 MHz), 2048 MB RAM installed.

I wanted to view the "on-demand" scan log from today as NOD32 said it had detected a possible virus in a new beta program I had installed. Not too worried about that as the company assures everyone that it is a false positive and nothing else appears to be happening with my system that would make me believe otherwise.

However, I call up the GUI control panel from my task bar icon.

I go to Tools, Log Files, On-demand Computer Scan which bring up all the log files.

I right click on the log I want to view, then click "show" and it brings up the log file in a separate window.

I then hit the down arrow button in the lower right corner of the window to scroll down the log file and an hour glass pops up and just sits there doing nothing.

I wait a bit figuring it's working on something.

After waiting I decide to close out the log display window by hitting the "x" in the upper right hand corner of only that window. (No...I'm not hitting the "x" on the main control panel window)

Both the log file window and the GUI control panel window close and the NOD32 icon disappears from my task bar in the lower right corner of my desktop.

However, according to SysInternals "Process Explorer", both ekrn.exe and vsmon.exe are still running in the background.

But I do restart my system just to make sure everything is running properly.

Is this a new bug or is there a setting or service I'm missing somewhere.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and ya'll have a great hump day.

Bill

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Have you changed any of the default install settings, in particular the Log all objects setting on which ever profile you are using for On-demand computer scan. That being changed from default can contribute to what you are experiencing. According to how many drives\files you are scanning, affects the size of the log file. It may just be too large to swallow and spits it out.
    LogObjects.jpg

3. Wonkabear

Well, as a matter of fact, that is just what is checked.

However, I was using BlackSpear's settings file and have not changed anything since I used it.

I will uncheck the "Log All Objects" and run another scan and see what happens.

Thanks for the help. It is definitely appreciated.

Bill

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Yeah, the default is unchecked for an In-depth scan profile, while the BS seting is checked.

Nod default....<NODE NAME="LogAllEnable" VALUE="0" TYPE="DWORD" />
    BS setting.....<NODE NAME="LogAllEnable" VALUE="1" TYPE="DWORD" />

You're very Welcome and let's hope that's all it is.

5. Wonkabear

Woo Hoo!!! I'm a happy camper now.

Your suggestion that I reset the logging was, in fact, correct-o-mun-doe.

Thanks again for the help.

Bill

P.S. Bubba is also the name of my system :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.