Cannot Update Snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Ed_H, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I am trialing FD-ISR and have had no problem making snapshots and archives until today. When I try to update the Secondary Snapshot I get a message "The Copy Engine Unexpectedly Terminated". "No Files Copied/Deleted". "Static Snapshot Error". Any ideas? Thanks

2. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

For lack of any other fix, I rebooted and tried again. On the third reboot, the copy/update worked fine...no errors. I sure would like to know what happened. I only have 2 trial days left and was all set to make a purchase before this happened. I am a little nervous now. Any ideas? Thanks

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

During copy/update FDISR produces an Activity Log and you can see that log when you click on Tools/View Activity Log and from there you can see the Detailed Activity log and you can print that log in a file.
    If you copy/paste that log, where the error occurred and post it here, we members might have an idea what happened.

Security softwares are sometimes a problem.
    Using RSS instead of VSS might solve the problem.

4. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Eric. Here is the portion of the log. How do you switch from VSS to RSS?

8/2/2007 16:24 1000 CMD> COPY "Primary Snapshot" "Secondary Snapshot" EXCLUDE *.tmp
    8/2/2007 16:24 1032 Copying snapshot "Primary Snapshot" to "Secondary Snapshot"
    8/2/2007 16:35 1117 The Copy Engine unexpectedly terminated.
    8/2/2007 16:39 1000 CMD> COPY "Primary Snapshot" "Secondary Snapshot" EXCLUDE *.tmp
    8/2/2007 16:39 1032 Copying snapshot "Primary Snapshot" to "Secondary Snapshot"
    8/2/2007 16:39 1035 No files copied or deleted; Errors 2; 1 seconds
    8/2/2007 16:39 1259 Static snapshot error
    8/2/2007 16:41 1000 CMD> COPY "Primary Snapshot" "Secondary Snapshot" EXCLUDE *.tmp
    8/2/2007 16:41 1032 Copying snapshot "Primary Snapshot" to "Secondary Snapshot"
    8/2/2007 16:41 1035 No files copied or deleted; Errors 2; 0 seconds
    8/2/2007 16:41 1259 Static snapshot error
    8/2/2007 16:45 0010 FirstDefense-ISR Service [Professional Version 3.20.202] started
    8/2/2007 16:45 0084 Pre-boot Check ... OK
    8/2/2007 16:53 1000 CMD> COPY "Primary Snapshot" "Secondary Snapshot" EXCLUDE *.tmp
    8/2/2007 16:53 1032 Copying snapshot "Primary Snapshot" to "Secondary Snapshot"
    8/2/2007 17:04 1117 The Copy Engine unexpectedly terminated.

5. ErikAlbert

ffreedom01,
    I don't see much in your log, that makes me any wiser, maybe other members do.

Changing to vss or rss

Click on Start / Run and type these three commands

1. CMD + Enter
    2. CD C:\$ISR\$APP\Setup + Enter
    3. ISRSetup –install –rss (or –vss) + Enter

Then REBOOT.

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Did you install any new software in the last day or so, firewalls or anything like that?

7. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

In services ensure that................. COM+ System Application is set to manual and Volume Shadow Copy is set to manual. Though if all has gone well so far I don't really see that anything should have changed there.

You could also try generating a support log, to see if there is something of more use on it.
    Open the FD interface and select Help > About FirstDefence-ISR > Support Info and generate a log from this.

8. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

No installs of any software. That brings up an interesting question though. Should I be shutting down anti-virus software (KIS 7) when FD-ISR is running?

9. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Erik...If this happens again, I'll change from VSS to RSS.

tradetime...I'll also give the support log a try.

I guess the main question is if FD-ISR is stable and reliable. After 2 weeks of use, I have booted into other snapshots and restored archives so I know that all works. I am also using Acronis True Image 8 for image backups and like the extra security of having both ways to get back up and running. Maybe that is overkill but it seems like a good idea to me. What do you think?

10. screamer

screamer Registered Member

If you are trialling BootBack, RSS is the default copy engine. This copy engine was developed by Raxco. It's listed in services.msc as BootBack Service. I'm sure it's set by default. If you want to try VSS, ensure that MS Software Shadow Copy Provider is set to Manual as well as Volume Shadow Copy.

Your incident could have been a one-time hiccup caused by the OS. I kinda doubt it was security software related since its not repeatable. Then again, I may be wrong.

No software is 100% foolproof, but FD-ISR is about as close as it gets.

hth,

...screamer

edit: Many folks, myself included also use an imaging app along side FD-ISR. ATI 9 here.

11. ErikAlbert

I used the combination FDISR + ATI for more than one year and it never failed, but I replaced ATI with ShadowProtect recently, because the last version (v10) of ATI is the beginning of bloatware and wasn't worth $30 to me.

FDISR and ATI cover eachother very well regarding the system partition [C:].
    ATI has the full image of [C:] and the sum of all FDISR-snapshots/archives = full image of [C:]
    Most of the time FDISR will save your system partition, from very little problems to BSOD's and I had all these problems in the past, not caused by malware, but by installing legitimate software that didn't like FDISR or my system.
    FDISR is the fastest backup software (archives), I've every seen. Creating the first archive isn't fast, but copy/updating an EXISTING archive is very fast.
    The beauty of FDISR is that when you have a problem, you don't need any specialized knowledge to solve the problem, FDISR will fix it for you in no time.
    I call FDISR a real troubleshooter, not in words but in deeds and that's what users really want : get rid of the problem as soon as possible without wasting time, without needing deep knowledge and without needing other people.
    If you are ever in trouble, you don't have to panic anymore, stay calm, do the right thing with FDISR (or ATI) and you are back in business.

I solve any problem in less than 2 minuts, because I created a boot-to-restore solution with FDISR. I deleted recently 300 MB in my system partition as a test. I deleted the software MS Office, Firefox and Thunderbird. Just one reboot and I had my 300 MB back and working properly in just 2 minuts.
    ShadowProtect restores my system partition in 10 minutes, including the load time of the Recovery CD.
    I don't waste my time anymore on solving problems. I spend my time on taking archives and backups and to improve my system.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  12. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I shut down the internet and any security apps just to minimize any conflicts that could possibly happen.

13. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

You guys convinced me...I just purchased FD-ISR. Hopefully, the key will arive shortly...I am on the last day of the trial. Thanks for the help.

14. ErikAlbert

ffreedom01,
    You don't ditch a software like FDISR, because you had ONE problem with it. You have to see the complete picture, not just one event.
    Any software has its enemies and sometimes it's hard to find the real cause.
    I consider FDISR as my best investment, including ShadowProtect.
    Before FDISR my computer was a mess and nothing but problems, one after another.
    Now, my computer is a paradise :
    1. clean folders and clean registry
    2. working properly all the time
    3. even malware-free, because my boot-to-restore removes any infection. I ran KAV recently and it couldn't find anything.
    I only use security softwares that stop the installation and/or execution of malwares and ditched all my scanners.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.