Cannot uninstall - thinks ts a trial version.

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by John Islip, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Islip

John Islip Registered Member

Disk Director 10 build 2,064. W2K SP4 with latest fixes.

I originally purchased ver 9 (23 OCT 2005), then later upgraded to version 10 (9 NOV 2005). I have just rebuilt my computer following a crash. Now Disk Director thinks it's a trial copy, despite my entering the product key during setup.

THINGS THAT DON'T WORK
    ----------------------

- The copy partition op is confusing to use (there's plenty of unallocated space to copy to, but it doesn't appear to want to use it),
    and ends with "This is a trial version..." when I try to commit the change.

- Help..About does not say this is a Trial version.

- There is no obvious uninstall option under acronis, either for the OS Selector or for Disk Director

- when I try to uninstall using Control Panel..Add/remove programs, I get
    "Acronis OS selector cannot find the proper serial number. You should re-install the product"
    "Fatal error during installation."
    I cannot find any way of entering the serial number.

- In contol panel..add/remove programs, I try the "Support Information" and click the repair option
    Get "The installer has encountered an unexpected error...code 2718"

- Try to re-install on top of existing.
    Get options to Modify, Repair, or Remove.
    Choose Remove. It tells me it is installing!
    Says "Acronis OS Selector cannot find the proper serial number. You should re-install the product."
    Try the Repair option next time. It tells me it is installing!
    Says "Acronis OS Selector cannot find the proper serial number. You should re-install the product."
    Try the Modify option.
    It appears to re-install OK.

BUT now I am back with the original problem! Back to square one!

THINGS I DON'T LIKE:
    --------------------

- The Full Install option does not install OS Selector automatically.(Good thing? since it cannot be uninstalled.)

- BOOTWIZ folder on every drive (but at least its better than some boot managers that require a whole new partition to themselves.)

- OS Selector does not show a full partition list, so you are not sure which OS you are booting.

- OS Selector does not list the CD drive as a boot option, whereas it does list the Floppy disk drive.

- I attached a 3gb W98 disk on the other IDE channel, and OS Selector detected it and gave me the option to boot from it
    However, after switching off, removing the 3gb W98 drive and booting off the acronis recovery cd, I went into start windows;
    it STILL shows W98 as a boot option, so it hasn't refreshed automatically, and there's no manual refresh option.

- There's no index or search facility in the Help - you have to dig around for ages to find anything.

Please tell me how I can rid my machine of Disk Director AND OS Selector.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John Islip,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please use the following instructions to uninstall Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 manually:

- Deactivate Acronis OS Selector
    - Delete snapman value from
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters
    - Delete snapman key from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
    - Delete the following registry keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Disk Director
    - Delete \Windows\System32\autoprnt.exe if it exists
    - Delete the following folders:
    \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis
    \Program Files\Acronis
    - Delete the Desktop icon and Start menu shortcuts
    - Reboot the computer.

After that please download and install the latest build (2089) of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. johniathome

johniathome Guest

I have uninstalled and now I am trying to get the latest build.

I have tried following the link you supplied, but the only options appear to be:

1. Buy Disk Director 10 - but I have already paid for it!

2. Buy the upgrade for the latest build - I don't think so! With these problems, I expect a FREE upgrade!

3. Download the trial version - but I have already paid for the FULL version.

Please clarify exactly how I can get the latest build of v10 without paying you any more money.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John,

Please do the following to get the latest build:

- Go to the Updates section of Acronis web site at.

- Enter your registration e-mail and password. If you forgot your password, please follow the link.

- Download the latest available build of your Acronis product.

If you have not registered your product on our web site yet, we recommend to do it in order to receive free updates and technical support.

- Choose "Product registration".

- Enter the serial number for your Acronis product in the corresponding field.

- With your product registered, you will have access to the latest build at "Product updates".

Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.