Cannot Un-immunize Spybot!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by seamusoldfield, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

'K, moving right along...
    I'm a happy Avast user, and just use demand scans from antispyware apps, which hardly ever find a thing. Avast is very good. I also use a pretty good firewall, and a couple of other residents that do not seem to be put to the test, much.(Plus a hosts file/SpywareBlaster.) So that security strategy works well for me.
    It is blacklist-based, so it is not, of course, invulnerable.

One of the demand scanners is Spybot. I have found the application an old workhorse, well supported - via the forum and the program development- and obviously well motivated.

One of the security "quirks" of Vista, (I believe, 'coz I'll probably never purchase a computer with Vista installed) is the necessity of installing and uninstalling a lot - if not all - software as an admin. The account you are probably using is a "standard" account, with all the UAC protections and limitations that go with that.

Perhaps it was assumed that you should already know this; I don't know.

I have to say, though, I don't see a chip on any shoulders here. Perhaps a little defensiveness, nothing more.

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Well said... "an old workhorse". :) The OP could try just not using the immunization feature and still derive some good from the application. I have never heard of Spybot causing the problem he experienced.

3. demonon

demonon Guest

Messing around with Host files and blocking large amounts of domains through the registry can slow down your PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.