Cannot scan my entire sytem with full scan feature !

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by A884126, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A884126

A884126 Registered Member

Hi.

Everytime I try to do a full scan my entire system I always end up after a while with this message...

Does anyone face this problem?

BTW do not tell me to install VB6 Runtime SP6 because it has been alreday done.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there, does this happen since recently and was all well before now?
    Does it happen under certain conditions with other scanners protection still on?
    Does it happen in a special place/file/folder/partition?

Disable other scanners completely, especially their resident protection so TDS has full access to every file.

If it is a special file or folder, maybe a rar file of a special kind or maybe corrupt you can try to uncheck the scan rar/zipped files or try to exclude that place from the scan and see if it now runs ok.
    So little by little you get to the culpit.

Please post back how it goes.

3. A884126

Always. But I noticed it since last month after I bought it. As during the trial period I never did a full scan of my HDD. However it happens only on one of my HDD.

My resident protection are only the ones you can find in my signature.

I do not know as when I launch the scan of my HDD I do not stay in front of my screen. 120Go takes a while if you know what I mean... And I could not find a log which tells me when it faces the error.

It's getting too late now. I'll try both tomorrow.

Cheers

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Fingers crossed for you.
    Thinking of the special partition, there could be a corrupt file there blocking the whole lot. You might like to try to exclude that partition for the first time to see if all the other works fine and look into that specific partition afterwards. Another option is to disablable inside zip/rar scanning then you know it is a rar file. (you could do that for that particular partition for instance as a start)

5. A884126

OK just give a new try after a scandisk. It did not work.
    Then I disabled the ZIP/RAR Archives and then it worked ! OK we identified the bug. However how come I do not face any concern with this option enabled with the other drives...
    Now I guess next step will be to scan folder by folder to identify the bad one...

6. A884126

Got it! Issue is coming from RECYCLER system file... I had to do several tests as right click scan did not show any problem because RECYCLER folder is not visible.

OK what's next?

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Good that you found it. Now what to do with the recycler? Having it visible that's one part, but i'm not familiar with recycler file/folder/system (not running XP myself) only with recycle bin which can be emptied, is there anything to do with the recycler system, empty it or maybe changing it's attributes?

8. A884126

I found something but it does not work for me. It says there is not file in RECYCLER but I can see TDS scanning some files...

9. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi A8...

OK, you say you have your files/folders "unhidden" and can see the C:\Recycler folder?

click on that and do you see [for eg:] something like:
    S-1-5-21-436374069-261903793-725345543-1003

Right click on that and select 'Properties' at least you can see what's in there.

Also, that reply you posted, you did go to CMD and follow it and tried to 'del info* ' or did you not even get that info* file?

See my lists. Fortunately I have not had that problem, I only just complete a full HDD scan last night and it did give me one notification about could not access a 'Read Only' RAR file I have, no biggie.

Attached Files:

• 002.GIF
      002.GIF
      File size:
      15.9 KB
      Views:
  10. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

I found this A8, from a forum.

They said to actually delete the Recycler Folder itself as it's recreated when needed.

I CANNOT vouch for it's accuracy though. From here:

http://www.mcse.ms/message661725.html

=================================
    Try deleting the entire Recycler folder. Open a command prompt window
    with Start > Run > cmd.exe > OK, then type:

rd /s C:\Recycler

If that works, your problem is solved. Windows will create a new folder
    when it's needed.

===============================

No guarantees...

also this: similar to what you had but slightly diff, read the 'NOTE:' at bottom I put in, maybe something, or nothing.

===================================
    A. The Info file in the Recycler folder sometimes gets corrupted and thus will shown a empty recycle bin even though there are plenty of files in the Recycler folder. Windows will automatically recreate the Info file if its missing so the easiest way to repair is to delete the Info file:

Start a command prompt (cmd.exe)
    Move to the Recycler folder
    Enter the command
    attrib -h info*.*
    Delete the file
    del info
    Restart the computer
    If its the actually Recycler folder that has become corrupted you may need to delete this by removing the system and hidden attributes (attrib -h -s c:\recycler) and then deleting.

NOTE: I noticed in the line 'del info' that there was NO astrik [*] after the word "info" like you had in your post, don't know if that is significant, try it I suppose [TAS]

==================================

Cheers, TAS

11. A884126

Thanks Tassie for your precious feedback. I tried to re create the Recycler but it did not work.

Anyway I finally made by doing what I said in my precious post but in real DOS mode (after a reboot vs in Windows mode) and it worked. The full scan of my HDD worked perfectly.

Thanks all for your help.

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thanks a lot Tassie for the instruction with all the screenshots!

And thanks for posting back it worked and your scan is fine again!
    Hope not too many suspicious alerts?
    There've been added so many new codes, i have more hits then with spybot and adaware together (and yes, they are real!)

13. A884126

No Jooske my computer is clean. The only stuff I got are from emails, actually always the same old s... (Win32/Netsky.Q.Worm)

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

My newest find is an infection with zafir.b, few hours ago. Mind that one, the email header is promising an e-card ready for you --if you look in the source you will see the nasty code and in my case a very long file name!

Glad your system is clean and now keep it that way! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.