Cannot run In-depth scan in windows 98SE

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by apha, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apha

apha Registered Member

Hi, I know this is vague but I do not know what other information I should provide. I am running Nod32 v2.7 on my Windows 98SE. I can basically perform other kinds of virus scan, however, the in-depth scan would cause Windows to pop up "This program has performed an illegal operations." This happens even in Safe Mode. I think it conflicts with some other programs. Can someone please help me shed some light on this? Thank you very much.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

In case it helps to know, what other Security\Privacy programs do you have installed ?

3. apha

apha Registered Member

Thank you very much for replying! The other two are:

Spybot Search and Destroy
    Zonealarm Firewall

4. apha

apha Registered Member

Oh, and I believe that it may be because of Spybot S&D, since Nod crashed sometimes after it scanned Spybot folder. I did not know how to exclude spybot from the in-depth scan (I can only exclude folders in AMON scan). What do you thinks? Thanks.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

Uninstall Spybot Search and Destroy and reboot the machine . Manually delete its folder(s) if there are some left .

You can try to re-install NOD32 with the latest version available for MS Windows 98 -> 2.70.39

1. Download fresh new version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus v2 from
    http://www.eset.com/download . Make sure that you choose the correct version.

2. Uninstall your current version from Control Panel-> Add or remove programs
    3. Reboot the computer when prompted
    4. Delete manually C:\Program files\ESET
    5. Reinstall your ESET software using the file you downloaded in step1 . Use typical install.

In NOD32 v2 one cannot make exclusions for on-demand scans - it is impossible . However , as a workaround , one can make new profile or modify existing one so that it doesn't scan all the hard drive but certain files/folders . This way you can select what you want to be manually scanned and you manually drop the unwanted folders from that list
    http://training.eset.com/kb/index.php?option=com_kb&Itemid=29&page=articles&articleid=205

Hope that helps!

P.S.
    Something else ... I guess you know it but will write it . Windows 98 is too old operating system . Microsoft no longer support it . Lots of other 3rd party vendors , too . Consider buying newer computer and using modern operating system such as Windows Vista or at least Windows XP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.