Cannot detect deleted files on Truecrypt encrypted drive

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Maluckernes, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maluckernes

Maluckernes Registered Member

System used: Windows XP SP3. Drive: C:\ - whole disk encrypted.
    D:\ is using Vista (dual boot) but not encrypted.

Situation: both drives have 750 GB and both are almost full. They are also fragmented. Can't use Defrag now because they don't have 15% free space. And I believe the last time I used Defrag Windows lost some files or show me some strange message about a correction done to the filesystem.

Health: Both drives are fine according to HDTune Pro.

Question:

I have deleted some files (each one using almost 1 GB) on the C:\ drive. RAR extension.

However, even after using Recuva and several programs, they never detected those files (they were deleted using Shift + DEL). If I do the same on D:\ the files will be listed (I did this today and some were marked as in "excellent condition to be recovered".

What makes me think how much time do I have to wait for Recuva and all other programs to actually show those deleted files on C:\. Or perhaps Truecrypt is preventing them from ever being displayed?

I am not sure but I think Recuva/other programs showed files deleted on C:\ but a long time ago and not in a good condition to be recovered. I am talking about big files.

I need to recover a specific file that was accidentally removed but don't know how to do that since the file never shows on reports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.