Cannot delete rules

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by manick, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manick

manick Registered Member

Hi

It seems that I am not able to delete rules for "system" processes, such as "Host Process for Windows Services", "Windows Logon Application" etc. I can edit or delete most other rules. Is this by design, or a bug? If it's by design, can anyone explain the reason?

Thanks!
    Nick

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Only custom rules can be deleted.

3. manick

manick Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply. If that's the case, would it achieve the same result if I "disable" them?

The issue I'm trying to solve here is one of my application (WonderShare's MobileGo) is unable to connect to my mobile through wifi. It works if I disable the firewall's network filtering, so I know it's one of the firewall rules blocking it. I have gone through all my custom rules and they're all clearly unrelated. I've tried to disable all the system rules that has a "deny" in it, but it still wouldn't work. The only firewall log entry that I can see around the connection attempt is this:

2/12 12:22:39 a.m. Communication denied by rule 192.168.1.5:63447 239.255.255.250:1900 UDP Block outgoing SSDP (UPNP) requests for svchost.exe C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE

Any idea on what else to try?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you have UPnP in the Trusted zone enabled in the IDS setup?

5. manick

manick Registered Member

Not exactly sure what that is and how to check that, but I think I've managed to resolve it now by disabling the following rules:

Block incoming SSDP (UPNP) requests for svchost.exe
    Block outgoing SSDP (UPNP) requests for svchost.exe

Weird thing is I'm pretty sure I've tried the same thing at least a couple of times before and it didn't work. May have just needed time for the change to kick in?

I guess the next question is: is it safe to disable those 2 rules?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.