Cannot connect to security related sites. Please help.

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by tzic, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tzic

tzic Registered Member

I am trying to connect to www.norton.com and I get messagebox that asks for username and

a password in order to connect to ftp.symantec.org I also try to connect to

www.mcafee.com and I get another messagebox that asks for username and paswword in order

to connect to mcafee.com. The same thing happens when I try to connect to www.sarc.com

(Norton) or www.helpvirus.com or any other virus related site. Does anyone have any

suggestions? It is beginning to drive me crazy....

I can visit any other page on the internet.... My system is winXP

regards,
    tzic
    www.tzic.com

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Tzic welcome to the forum!
    sounds sad; please have a look in this thread as it looks the same issue! Hope it helps! http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=13664
    Please tell us if this solves your problem!

3. tzic

tzic Registered Member

Thank you Jooske, following the threads instructions I managed to solve the problem..!

tzic

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Ahhhh i'm so glad you did! And thanks for telling us!
    Congratulations! Now make sure you have a clean restore point from here (make it manually) if ever needed for anything; you mighyt like to give it a descriptive name indicating this is a clean safe restore point to use.

5. tzic

tzic Registered Member

I dont know how to create a restore point... :-( Can you take a look at http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=13664;start=15 at my last reply where I list the contents of thr host file and tell me what you think?

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi, i hope somebody can walk you through doing so on an XP system, i see one for win ME which might not be much different i hope here with images; once you're in that system restore area you have the option to create manually a new restore point.

I looked at that quotelf which seems rather abused; googled for that name and i see more examples like your host file with the same kinds of additions and the whole lot which Pieter described.
    What surprises me, there is a HOSTS file and i thought what you showed (as well as the other people) would have been a manipulated Hosts.Sam file and if a sam file would be a sample and not to run why does it run or was this an addition to the original HOSTS file?

I hope the quotelf stocks info itself was not infected and causing this, or in combination with some vulnerability or infection either from a website or via email nasties.
    Did the properties of that manipulated HOSTS file say a last modification date?

7. tzic

tzic Registered Member

the file was:

-created: Thursday, August 23, 2001, 2:00:00 PM

-Modified: Monday, June 23, 2003, 12:16:13 AM (on my birthday..?)

-Accessed: Today, September 15, 2003, 3:36:20 AM

What should I do now? Actually there is no "host" file because I renamed it to host.bak Should I create or download another one?

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

If you like you could create a new HOSTS file; not sure what you like to put in it; there are a few sites about it with updates for thousands of sites we don't want to know about. The HOSTS file is discussed in the forum too occasionally.

A very belated happy birthday!

Is there a possibility to do in Windows a search/find for files modified or created on that same date?
    It could have been an infected "happy birthday" e-card for instance. So look for emails from that date and a day before and in all the system. In the "find" you can sort them on date/hour so look for that time of modification and around.

I remember there were articles of compromised hosts around 15 june, and the JS/Fortnight was doing such things too, adding a hosts file to the windows directory with bunches of redirections (mostly p0rn sites)

9. tzic

tzic Registered Member

thank you Jooske, everything works fine.. :)

tziC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.