Cannot boot after upgrade to Smart Security 5

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by scorwitz, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scorwitz

scorwitz Registered Member

Hello, Please help! I'm using a second computer for this post because I upgraded to ESET NOD32 Smart Security 5 last night, shut down my PC and today when I tried to turn it on, it will not boot at all. There is power to the PC, so that is not the problem. I've done a diagnostic test where you hold the Function key down while powering on and according to Dell, there is a problem now with the CPU or Motherboard. NONE of these problems existed prior to last night.

I am using MS Vista Ultimate on a Dell M1530 laptop. I've read other posts where people had problems booting into Windows after installing version 5. What will ESET do to help me?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

if there are issues as reported by Dell diagnostic then only Dell can rectify it. There must have been a prior underlaying fault with hardware only waiting to happen.

3. scorwitz

I only bring up Dell to let you know how serious the boot problem is. I've been reading on these forums about others having issues with booting into Windows after they upgraded to version 5.

I find it to be too much of coincidence that for well over 3 years everything was working fine and this just happened after a software upgrade of your product.

What will your company do to assist me? I am afraid to install your product on a new Windows machine now and I'm paid through September of 2012.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

most hardware issues happen during a cold start or reboot. installing new software cannot damage hardware.

5. scorwitz

Lodore, are you an employee of ESET NOD32? Is this your official word?

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I do not work for Eset. I am a self employed computer technician with years of experience.

7. scorwitz

Well, thank you, but I thought this was the ESET NOD32 forum.

8. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

While this is the ESET support forums, we have a number of customers & technicians (like lodore) who are highly qualified technicians and who have provided invaluable assistance here for our customers who are having issues.

Are you getting any error messages or anything at all displayed on your monitor when you reboot? Do you hear a beep, do any lights illuminate? Are there lights that don't come on that should? If the diagnostic tool pointed to your CPU or Motherboard as the issue, your next course of action should be contacting DELL Support for further investigation and possible resolution.

If you are getting error codes or anything displayed on your monitor when you try to boot, please provide this information so we can further diagnose the issue and hopefully point you in the right direction towards resolving it.

9. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

As a long-timer user of Dell products, I know that they can fail without any prior warning. It is possible that even if the motherboard is bad, the hard drive may be good. You might be able to install it in a new system and rescue the data that way. That's what I had to do not long ago with my own system, where the motherboard was bad but the hard drive was still good. I have never seen software installation cause a hardware problem in some 27 years of using computers of all types.

10. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Are you able to at least get into the BIOS by holding down whatever the appropriate key is on the Dell while powering up?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.