Cannot assign a drive letter to a partition from the image archive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by w1z4rd, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w1z4rd

w1z4rd Registered Member

We use Acronis Trueimage Version 8.1 build 945 to do backups of all our webservers. Every server has a full backup, and incrimentals that go off daily, and these have worked successfully for the last couple of months. All these servers backup to a primary local server with a couple of free TB of disk space.

Last night I was informed that someone was able to do a successful restore from one of the backups.

Today I get a query from someone asking for a restore, so I go as per usual to the correct directory for that server, and double click on the image file to mount it, and I get the error message of "Cannot assign a drive letter to a partition from the image archive". I try another image file, and I get the same result. Every single image from every single one of our servers has stopped working with that same error message.

I think mayb there is a problem with the backup server, so I uninstall and then reinstall Acronis. Same problem. I try copying an image file to another server, and I get the same error.

Im stumped here :( This is a lot of backups for a lot of servers. I ran the verification program on a couple of the Acronis image files, and they come out squeaky clean with no corruption or anything like that.

Please someone help me with this. No easter weekend for me if I do not get this right :(

Having a problem restoring acronis disk image.

Version 8.1 build 945

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello w1z4rd,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please download and install the latest build of your version of Acronis True Image which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

The most common reason why you get the error message, even if you are using a computer with the same user name, is that the user profile and permissions could be different from those on your original system. Different permissions and profiles might make you unable to view certain files and/or folders. The only workaround is to restore the image archive (at least the necessary partition) and take ownership over the files and/or folders you need in your new profile and permissions. You then will be able to access, view and change these files and/or folders. Please take a look at this FAQ article.

Microsoft provides instructions on how to perform this task. You can find them in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Could the problem be that there are no free drive letters?

4. Acronis Support

Hello w1z4rd,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please disregard my previous message, it was posted by mistake.

Please make sure that all the volumes of the image archive reside in the same folder. Please also verify the image archive by means of the Check Image tool.

If the image archive appears to be consistent, please provide a screen shot of the last screen of the Explore Image wizard which contains the operation scenario.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. cdupk

cdupk Registered Member

I am experiencing EXACTLY the same problem this morning (verson 8.0 Build 76:cool:. Could you please post the solution for myself and anyone else to view?

Thanks,

Chris Upton

6. Acronis Support

Hello Chris,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download and install the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

If the problem still persists, please follow the instructions provided in post #4 of this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.