Cannot add .tib files to rescue CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Peter Ward, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Ward

Peter Ward Registered Member

I want to make my backups on CD/DVD bootable, so I add the backup .tib files to an .ISO image of the rescue disk then burn my CD/DVD (using UltraISO and Roxio Easy Media Creator).

Problem is the CD/DVD will then not boot. Either it reads the CD/DVD then boots from my hard drive without any error message, or says 'Starting Acronis Loader...Cannot boot from disk, press any key when ready'.

My .ISO image is ok, I can burn it to CD/DVD and it boots fine without any added files.
    One other piece of info, one bootdisk that will not boot on the machine on which it was created WILL boot on an older machine with a CD writer (no DVD capability)??

Why would adding even one extra file interfere with the ability for the rescue disk to boot?
    How else can I make my backups bootable?

Thanks

Pward

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Peter,

Before I can attempt to answer your question I need you to advise the following:

1. Version and Build Number of TI
    2. Version of UltraISO that you're using
    3. Do you wish to create a bootable image on DVD, CD or both (restoring an image from DVD(s) is bad enough; multiple CDs would be a real pain!!)

Regards

3. Peter Ward

Menorcaman,

Thanks for the reply.

I am on : TI7.0 build 638
    UltraISO 6.1
    I would prefer to use both CD's and DVD's depending on the size of the various partitions I am backing up.

Quite frankly I don't see how this could be an issue with TI (as the original rescue disk DOES work) and maybe not even UltraISO. I suspect it is a BIOS and/or CD/DVD format issue. The fact that one machine will boot from the disk while the other doesn't hints at this. I have been unable to find very useful information on exactly how this works.

4. Menorcaman

Hi again Peter,

O.K. Thanks.

For a bootable CD image try the following:

- Create an image to the hard drive, choosing TI's option to split the image manually at 650MB.
    - Create the Acronis bootable rescue CD.
    - Make sure the rescue CD is in the CD/DVD burner, run your CD/DVD recording software and choose to create a new CD_ROM (ISO) data compilation. Set the option to continue a multi-session disk.
    - In the new compilation window, add the first of the 650MB .tib files to the compilation and burn it, ensuring you set the option to "Finalize the disk" after burning .
    - Burn the remaining 650MB .tib files to separate CDs as normal CD-ROM (ISO) data compilations (non multi-session).

For a bootable DVD image using your particular versions of TI and UltraISO, try the procedure I've detailed at Post #117 in the thread titled <How to create bootable rescue DVD(s):>.

General note: True Image refers to each .tib file as a "Volume". When validating or restoring a multiple CD/DVD image you need to insert the disk that contains the last Volume first and then follow TI's prompts for subsequent volumes. So in this case, boot into TI's recovery mode from the first CD or DVD, remove it and insert the last disk prior to proceeding with a validation or restore.

Regards

5. Peter Ward

Menorcaman,

Thanks again for your reply.

I have read your post #117 re a bootable DVD. This is almost exactly what I have already done, with the exception that it is not necessary to copy the .bif file to the .iso image before making it bootable. It is only necessary to 'load boot file' and point at where the .bif file extracted from the recovery disc resides.

No luck, boot errors as mentioned before.

As I mentioned, I had also tried adding the .tib file/s to an existing recovery CD, with the result that the machine on which it was created no onger recognises it as a boot disk, while it WILL work on another older machine with a CD recorder (no DVD capability).

I'm not sure if I closed that CD though. I will keep trying and let you know what is causing this problem for your records.

regards,

Pward

6. Menorcaman

Hi Peter,

Out of interest, could you try using the procedure exactly as detailed in Post #117 of the above linked thread. We had a saying in the aerospace engineering world - "similar is never the same" :p :D.

Regards

7. Peter Ward

Menorcaman,

Spent over 20 years in system software problem resolution myself, get the picture. Remove every variable and isolate.

Have resolved 1st problem. It is with UltraISO 6.1. I can successfully save a TI bootdisc as a .iso image and burn a new CD/DVD from it, but when modifying a .iso image with this tool or saving a .bif boot image, that boot image gets set to 2K. Using UltraISO 8.5.1 (which is a trial version limited to 300Mb) the boot image file (.bif) is saved as 8Mb. So UltraISO 6.1 is corrupting the CD/DVD 'boot sector'. Using UltraISO 8.5.1 I can add a TI .tif to the .iso image and burn a bootable CD/DVD without a problem.

Your method as described in your post #117 can be simplified. UltraISO 8.5.1 can save the TI bootdisc directly to the hard drive as a .iso image (or open it directly). Later this can be opened in UltraISO. Then simply drag the TI .tif files to the opened image window. Then save the modified image as another .iso image. Then use UltraISO to burn the new image to CD/DVD. It is not necessary to individually save components of the TI bootdisc or add them to the new .iso image.

Still don't know why adding a .tif file to a bootable CD-R created with TI prevents the CD/DVD from being bootable but I'll certainly let you know when I've resolved this one.

Regards

Pward

8. Menorcaman

Hello Peter,

The procedures I submitted at Post #117, Post #171 and Post #269 (plus a few variants in between!!) in that above linked thread cater for a number of different versions/builds of TI and UltraIso, although not your specific combination. Even then, as you have found out, there are more ways than one to skin a cat :D.

To be honest though, since the release of Build 3633, TI has been able to create an image direct to DVD that also includes the Acronis bootable media components (see Post #273) and therefore I feel disinclined to take that long running thread any further.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.