Cannot access Mircosoft's websites

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jd0427, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jd0427

jd0427 Registered Member

Hi,
    I cannot get into ANY of M$ websites, except the new windows update (using the new url). When I try a link (even from a Microsoft newsletter) my browser tries to find the site, then tries to go to IP 207.46.249.190, then gives me the DNS error. I'm using WinXP Home edition, and IE6.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    JD

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

This seems to be a common problem lately. Microsoft recently moved many of their sites out to a service provider, Akamai, and it turns out that many people are blocking a number of the akamai servers in their windows hosts files.

This is often done by certain spyware or pop-up blocker applications, though many people have manually added Hosts files from different providers like hpguru, smartin and others (perhaps even Spybot S&D's hosts).

Can you check your system for a Hosts file in either of these locations (below) and see if you have entries blocking any akamai servers?

NT/2K/XP: c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\Hosts

ME/9x: c:\Windows\Hosts

- As this is not an actual alert for an available update, I'll move this thread over to "Software & Services" in a little while.

3. jd0427

jd0427 Registered Member

Hi and thanks for responding. I did check my hosts file, and I don't see anything about akamai. I do see, howver, the IP address that my browser keeps trying to find. 207.46.249.190 www.microsoft.com, even though it never does go through. I do use Spybot. Any suggestions as to what I might try next?
    Thanks again, JD

4. LowWaterMark

Ah, well that does make sense... The server at the IP address 207.46.249.190 is currently down. Because of that entry in your Hosts file, the only translation your system can get for www.microsoft.com is that address. So, you can't get there.

If you remove that entry from the Hosts file, when your browser is restarted and attempts to find the Microsoft site, it'll get a good address from DNS instead, and it should find the site just fine.

Oh, and I'd look for any other Microsoft related entries in the Hosts file and remove them, too. Those might have been added by some software to "speed up" access to Microsoft for some reason, but, since MS just changed all their addresses (well, because of the akamai thing), that address is no longer good.

5. jd0427

jd0427 Registered Member

Hi,
    Thanks for your help. Works fine now. You're TERRIFIC.
    Thanks again,
    JD

6. LowWaterMark

Thanks JD, I'm glad it all worked out. :)

So far, we've seen a few different issues related to Microsoft's change in how their web content is being provided. Various privacy and security tools have either hard-coded addresses like in this case, or they've blocked akamai based domain names which now support Microsoft, so all that needs to be updated. :doubt:

Spy1 noted an issue with "SpyBlocker" over in this thread. So, we'll all need to consider all of this when people have similar problems.

7. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

I'm using ME and decided to ck this out even though I haven't experienced what the topic poster has. There were two Hosts files.........one just said Hosts and the other said Hosts.sam. I opened the .sam file and it has some entries. Opened the other file by using MS Word and it didn't have any entries. The Hosts.sam file isn't the file to worry about is it? It appears just to be a sample file showing what a Hosts file might show as entries.

8. LowWaterMark

;)

That's right. ".sam" is simply short for sample. There is usually a sample hosts file on all Windows systems. The active file is just named "hosts" and is located in the locations quoted above.

9. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

10-4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.