Can You Trust Your VPN Provider…?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thank u : )
    What is better in your opinion guys? The guavi free edition, the pro edition or to set up comodo firewall?

2. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Maybe the client with embedded protection?

Actually I have not experienced all those troubles with AirVPN, but I saw indeed that the connection is more stable in some servers than others.
    Anyway when Air is expiring (in about one month) i am going to give Boleh a try.

3. Boleh has the built-in protection i guess, still wondering what is better between it, a firewall set up or a program such guavi

4. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

In-built protection is better always. VPNCheck pro has some issues.

5. Fawkesguy

Fawkesguy Registered Member

If I used or needed a client program, I would want it to have this feature built in. For me, a single line in the firewall section of my DD-WRT router takes care of this.

6. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

Do you guys feel its better to connect to a VPN server in a particular country ?

I notice Netherlands/Sweden have the most users, I once asked this question on to Airvpn, and was told it makes no difference either way.

Got me wondering why so many are connecting on say European servers or Asia servers....

7. Taliscicero

AirVPN staff lies, SE/NL servers are better as are east Asian for western users.

8. Fawkesguy

Lies? Maybe it would be better to say you disagree.

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It depends on where you are. Netherlands and Sweden are probably the best overall, but both would cooperate with the US etc if you were important enough. East Asian servers are good too, but there are cooperation agreements there too. China would be very good, if you were chaining out again. Some of the most bulletproof hosting is in China ;) Russia is also good for US etc users, but not for Russian users.

Generally, don't pick your own country, or any country that cooperates freely with it.

10. TheCatMan

regarding above 3 replies

Yeah was a bit strange when I asked them since they suggest did not matter, but quick look at stats shows netherlands most popular around :)

And yes was thinking exact same thing, perhaps the connecting to a server where you are closest too or where you reside, they could in theory pass information on, its a big if still and would in theory destroy any privacy and the company would be damaged if not destroyed.

Has not happen to airvpn in 3 years..... yet!

I think ill connect to Netherlands or somewhere in europe, but as suggest any of them could co-operate with english speaking countries if they wanted to....

11. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I have had the same problems and I was shocked when I discovered this. Other VPN's that I have used blocked all connections when the VPN failed. I had to manually disconnect and reconnect before I cou;d access the internet again. So I assumed that this was standard in the industry. Not to bad mouth anyone's business. But I am switching to Bpleh and I am going to give them a try. I would switch back to Cryptohippie but I can't afford that right now.

12. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Someone else posted about this. It looks really good and I guess it spoofs your MAC and machine name too.

13. Taliscicero

I can tell you, they lie or don't know better which are both bad from a company your supposed to trust with your identity. If you just use simple logic, you can honestly tell me a man from California connecting to a VPN server in California is as safe as that same Californian man connecting to a server in Hong Kong, you gotta be joking. Even more so when you read about Foxacid.

I trust BolehVPN and avidly recommend them now. AirVPN looks good on paper but really its just another big group that does not really know exactly what they are doing. Look at their privacy policy / refund policy, it just screams we cover our-self before we look out for you.

14. dogbite

I usually connect to an Air server in Germany because I found it much more stable than the Netherland's ones, meaning that I never get disconnected, while it happened in Holland.

15. Taliscicero

If you got disconnected, you would never know.

16. Fawkesguy

If I got disconnected, all traffic would be stopped dead in its tracks. Not everyone relies on VPN client software. But for those who do, I understand that's an issue.

17. Fawkesguy

We don't know for a fact that California man is safer going through a Chinese server. We assume.

18. dogbite

do you mean that even in the client log the disconnection would not show up?

19. TheCatMan

Another of my silly question, do you guys feel its best to perhaps do things this way:

User > VPN 1> VPN 2 > VM- Whonix or ubuntu

Or

User > VPN1> VM- whonix or ubnutu > VPN2

Which setup is better ? I am on an tomato router always connected to VPN 24/7 also so unable to do any fancy VPN with tor and obviously don't want no adversary spying on me !

20. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Some can be trusted much more than others, but you can't fully trust any of them. Most that I have looked at can't, but when you look at their TOS I guess you can trust them. Most warn you about the limits of their anonymity. So what i'm saying is they tell you one thing, but when you look at their TOS it tells you the catch. Kind of like looking at the fine print. You just need to take the time to read the TOS. Most of them lack an anonymous payment method so how can they really provide anonymity? They can't when facing something as large as the United States Government. They have to have all their bases covered when facing such powerful entities. Also, many VPN providers do not own the servers that provide their service. They only lease them which is not good because the VPN provider themselves has to also trust the company they are leasing the servers from. They have to trust that they are complying with the policies set by their TOS. I could go on, and on. I may write a short article or blog on this soon.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  21. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

It is really good. I've purchased a license for it 2 years ago. It works great. I posted about it in a couple other threads. I hope some other members here at Wilders interested in anonymity will also purchase it to help support it's development. It will also help if members spread the word about it's existence. Most of use members here at Wilders know how so many great product's development dies due to lack of revenue. Try it for yourself. The developer offers a free trial. -http://www.guavi.com/vpncheck_free.html-

22. mirimir

That depends. I get disconnected from time to time, especially because I'm nesting 3-4 VPNs ;) But it's obvious when that happens, because no traffic gets through, and none of the pfSense VPN clients after the disconnect can connect to their servers. I've checked the setups with Wireshark, and nothing leaks, even if I kill openvpn process.

23. mirimir

"Safer from what?" is the question ;) I wouldn't want to use a Chinese exit, because then I'd be blocked by the Great Firewall. But generally, people in California (except maybe San Francisco) are relatively isolated from Chinese adversaries, and the US and China probably won't cooperate. It's my impression that the Chinese authorities don't care much about foreigners, but that could cut both ways. The main thing is not making trouble with the Triads :)

24. mirimir

This is fine. VPN1 is your router. VPN2 is on your host machine. And the Whonix Tor gateway and workstation VMs run in VirtualBox. All of that should just work, with no tweaking. Use a firewall on your host machine, Comodo for Windows or adrelanos' VPN-Firewall for Linux.

For the second one, VPN1 is your router, and there's no VPN on your host machine. VPN2 is running on the Whonix workstation VM. In that case, VPN2 is connecting through Tor. Using Ubuntu there doesn't make sense. I'd write that as:

User > VPN1> VM-Whonix-gateway> VM-Whonix-workstation with VPN2

You could easily run another VPN on the host machine, to get:

User > VPN1> VPN2> VM-Whonix-gateway> VM-Whonix-workstation with VPN3

Other ways to do that are:

User > VPN1> VPN2> VM-ra's-Tor-gateway> VM-pfSense-VPN3> VM-Ubuntu

User > VPN1> VPN2> VM-ra's-Tor-gateway> VM-Ubuntu with VPN3

25. mirimir

@Cutting_Edgetech

Best I think is not putting all your trust in one provider etc. If you distribute trust, so that you're safe unless a few or several must collaborate, you're safer. That's the basis of Tor, for example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.