Can you set up NOD32 to scan HOTMAIL?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ejr, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alglove

alglove Registered Member

To throw some more explanation (or confusion) into the discussion here, Microsoft also has several different definitions of MAPI. :rolleyes:

One version is known as Simple MAPI. This basically gives external applications a hook into e-mail programs to let do really basic operations, like compose and send an e-mail message. Many e-mail programs, including Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, and Eudora, support Simple MAPI. However, this is not what gets checked by EMON.

Another definition of MAPI is a proprietary messaging system used by Microsoft Exchange. However, this is not what gets scanned by EMON, either. At least, not directly. Exchange mail does get scanned by EMON, but only at the e-mail client level, not at the data stream level. (see the next paragraph for more explanation)

What does get scanned by EMON are messages in mail clients that make use of "Extended MAPI". Extended MAPI is kind of like Simple MAPI in that it gives external applications control over messaging, but much greater control. In addition to the ability to compose and send, Extended MAPI allows programs to edit messages, delete messages, move them to different folders, etc. E-mail clients that support Extended MAPI are Microsoft Outlook, and, ummm....., er......, Microsoft Outlook.

Extended MAPI gives EMON the ability to scan individual e-mail messages in Outlook, and then modify or delete them as necessary. In other words, it allows NOD32 to act as an Outlook "plugin".

Note that EMON gives NOD32 the ability to scan *any* sort of e-mail in Outlook. POP3, IMAP4, Hotmail, Exchange, whatever. As long as Outlook can handle it, EMON can scan it.

2. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Alglove, thanks for that explanation of MAPI (simple and extended) and MS Office/Exchange. That certainly helped me.

On a side note, after my prior post I decide to look up some details. (I know... I know.... posting then researching... tsk, tsk.) Anyway, I found this Microsoft Q&A with the following quote:
    So, it appears that MSN also turned off the WebDAV access to their free Hotmail accounts along with the denial of POP3 access. My question, then, is how does Blackspear receive his Hotmail in Outlook? I'm curious since unless he is using a paid account, he shouldn't be able to pull it in via either POP3 or WebDAV/HTTP. o_O

3. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Alternate Solution to hOTMAIL problem

Above we had a pretty good discussion about getting NOD32 to scan my hotmail account. The solution that I may end up doing is upgrading the hotmail account to POP3 for the $20/year or whatever msn charges.

But that would be caving to Microsoft. I'm thinking that a different solution is simply to find another free POP3/SMTP email. The list that I have thus far is:

EZrs
    gawab
    mailshack (from nerdshack.com)
    Virus Free Mail

Would setting up one of these accounts and using it in place of my hotmail account work? Are there any other free pop3/SMTP email services? I think Gmail might be one but not sure about SMTP support.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2005
  4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I use FREE Hotmail, haven't paid to date, and have always used this feature since becoming aware of it many many years ago. I have used it both with Outlook Express and Outlook. It seems as though if you have been using it to a certain point in time they continue to allow you to use it. Anything after a certain point in time, then you have to go the Paid route (well that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it).

By the way, that article is dated Nov. 18, 2004.

Cheers :D

5. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Re: Alternate Solution to hOTMAIL problem

have a look here:

http://www.dwmail.net/

not sure if it would help... but perhaps...

6. gue_st

gue_st Guest

So, you are using POP3 or HTTP ?
    You need to pay for POP3 ability, haven't heard about any problems with HTTP Hotmail and Outlook(except Outlook bugs itself:D)

7. Blackspear

HTTP through OUTLOOK, haven't used EXPRESS for a while now.

8. Blackspear

Re: Alternate Solution to hOTMAIL problem

As your second thread was basically a continuation of this thread I have merged the two together.

Cheers

Blackspear.

9. SaM_J

SaM_J Registered Member

There are programs out there that import ur web-based mail - ie hotmail, yahoo, gmail etc etc - to ur pop3 email client. Outlook or whatever u use.

/SaM/

10. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Interesting...most interesting. I had been under the (apparently incorrect) assumption that much like IMON scans at the port level (110)..EMON scanned at the datastream level also (from client to network<=|=>Exchange where XMON takes over on the info store)

So...EMON handles things with Outlook itself, possibly down to the PST level where AMON would take over. But based on our understanding of IMON...if Outlook is setup as a POP3 mail client, EMON scans Outlook as a plugin, would IMON be a third (or first) layer since IMON scans port 110? Since Outlook is pulling POP mail...it is first touched by the computer at the port level, no?

11. alglove

alglove Registered Member

I believe this is the order of the layers of defense, when using POP3 mail with Outlook:
    1. IMON -- Checks incoming e-mail at the network level, scanning on port 110.
    2. EMON -- Checks e-mail as it reaches the Outlook folder. Can also check read e-mail and outgoing e-mail, which cannot be done with IMON.
    3. AMON -- Checks as individual files (such as attachments) are extracted from the e-mail and written to the hard drive.

12. ejr

ejr Registered Member

potsed this in another secton, but thought it would be appropriate here too. I basically solved the whole hotmail problem by dropping hotmail and setting up a free nerdshack account. As it is POP3/SMTP it will get scanned (and tagged as scanned) by IMON. I can also check it with Outlook express.

13. Blackspear

Good to see, and thanks for letting us know the outcome, as we alol learn this way...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.