Can you reninstall programs with .msi files in C:\WINDOWS\Installer?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Are they just regular application installers or do they serve some other purpose?

I'm thinking about uninstalling Roxio Creator Starter that came preinstalled. It's a commercial product and I don't have an installation disk. If I wanted to get it back later the only option would be to do a full system recovery or restore a disk image, unless the .msi installer would work. Before I go and do something I'll regret, I thought I should do some homework.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What brand of computer do you use?

3. allizomeniz

It's a Dell Inspiron 570 desktop with Windows 7.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

The installation files inside the windows\installer folder are full installation files, you can reinstall products from them. You can test this by copying an .msi from that folder to a different computer and installing that particular software to the new computer.

The only problem is in identifying the correct installation .msi. For example, if it is a software suite, it will have multiple .msi copies for each of its modules in this folder and sometimes you can not install one module without a master .exe file.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  7. allizomeniz

I think I'd better leave well-enough alone. After spending two hours on the phone with Dell "support," I finally found out I can't redownload it from them. If I want it I'd have to upgrade to the latest version for a fee, unless I have an extended warranty that covers software, which I don't. I can get Roxio Burn which is a nice little burner but doesn't have all the features of Creator.

I don't think the .msi installer I have is a full installer, I think it's a repair utility for an already installed program. It's only 52mb and the downloads I found online for the program are around 500mb. The installed size is 1.6gb.

I guess I'll just leave it be for now. I can probably find a free program that does everything Creator does at a fraction of the bloat. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.