Can you recommend me a Paint Program

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AnthonyG, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could recommend me a good simple to use application (Free or Retail) which is the next step up from Microsoft Paint.

As currently to do any image editing i have both Microsoft Paint for quick easy jobs and Photoshop for long (attmepted) professional jobs.

Mostly i just want to do some quick resizing, cutting, adjusting and circling a region to highlight sections of it.

I have for years been using MS Paint for this, but i am afraid MS Paint is one rubbish application, its just one poorly constructed application. So is there a program that is slightly more feature packed and more user friendly. But obviously just a simple graphics editing app not like Photoshop.

(Can ask what is Jasc Paint Shop Pro or Corel Draw like?)

Thanks
    Anthony

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

3. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

If it's the only thing you have to do, I would recommend SnagIt or HyperSnap-DX.
    These are however not free.
    Personally I prefer SnagIt. :)
    A bit difficult to explain, but you can see some examples
    of what it can do in the long, long thread about Paint Shop Pro & PhotoFiltre.
    You can always download the trial to test it yourself. :D

Another free one is PhotoFiltre.

As for Corel Draw I once used it, but way over my head to get something done.
    Only for Professionals and very expensive and it needs a lot of memory too. :doubt:
    Paint Shop Pro is really great alternative to PhotoShop and much, much cheaper. :D

4. Ailric

Ailric Guest

5. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

6. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Another one you can take a look at is Pixia. Never used it, but I've been reading some very positive reviews of it.
    Best of all it's free. :D
    As for fast resizing, viewing, sorting, retouching, red eyes, ... I've FastStone Image Viewer installed on my system.
    An amazing app still in Beta, but really great to work with.

I also have Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album installed (bought it together with PSP),
    but I like FastStone better and it's free too. :)

7. squash

squash Registered Member

Paint.NET, GIMP, Photofitre.
    Paint.NET is however the one intended to replace Paint. Whilst for GIMP it is intended to replace Photoshop.

8. Lurkerella

Lurkerella Guest

Irfanview will do almost anything Paint Shop Pro will do, without the complexity.

Corel Draw has a huge learning curve, that can take memory and alot of your time.

PhotoFiltre is a good helper, but Irfanview sounds like what you want- resizing, cropping, highlighting, even batch conversion from bmp to jpg, png,tif, or gif. It also will use many PhotoShop plug ins that cause power problems in PSP.

The best part - it's free even the plug-ins are free.

9. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Not entirely correct, you can't compare IrfanView with PSP.

XnView, IrfanView, FastStone and others are image viewers, although they can apply some effects. :cool:

PSP, PhotoShop, PhotoFiltre, Gimp, Blender, Pixia, Corel Draw are image editors.
    There's a huge difference in what you can do with those.

I do agree about the complexity though. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.