Can you really be traced from your IP address?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Can you really be traced from your IP address? (2 web pages).

I suppose it all depends on how long your ISP keeps logs and whether they assign IP addresses randomly and keep those associations in the log or not.

What is your ISP policy?

-- Tom

2. doctorlink

doctorlink Registered Member

Yes it is possible to track you, because the ip address represents the registrants.

eg:- registration with windows, communications, etc. They will log your information and country.

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

For sure they can do it. I learned of a situation some time ago where the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) warned a web surfer via the surfer's ISP that they had illegally downloaded game software. They had date, time, IP Address, game title, port, protocol and download program (BitTorrent.) And no, it wasn't me! ;)

4. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

ISPs keep logs of all your IP addresses and connection times for at least 3 months prior, most of them do 6 months by default. So yes, you can be traced from your IP address by your ISP. Can you be traced by someone other than your ISP? Depends on how clever your attacker is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.