can you help me install Multimedia Audio Drivers, please?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i just reformated and installed XP, so far i have shocked myself and managed to fix a couple of conflicting modules, which i learned about here, i think :D . but, i just turned on the sound for the first time and there's no sound. and thinking back now, when i went through services and start-ups there was no sign of soundman.exe. ive looked in Device Manager and it says the Multimedia Audio Controller had no driver installed (in the screenshot)

My Processor Intel Celeron and the frequency is 2400 MHz

Motherboard Name Soltek SL-85MIV(-L) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)

Chipset - VIA VT8751 ProSavageDDR Apollo P4M266 System Controller

Physical Memory : 608 MB DDR-SDRAM

PCI Device audio : VT8233/A AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller - Manufacturer : Avance Logic Inc

so going from the screenshot what do i update o_O is it the driver for the VT8233/A AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller i need to update? if it is these are the steps i have taken to update - first i went to the page below...
    http://www.viaarena.com/Default.aspx?PageID=2
    i picked Windows XP and went to the following page below...
    http://www.viaarena.com/Default.aspx?PageID=2
    then what do i pick? Audio? if Audio is correct, i then go to the link below...
    Opps, OK i just realized that the pages are the same. if you fill in the steps i filled in we should be on the same page, i hope o_O :rolleyes:
    i then pick the 4th option down, the one which has VT8233/A and i get to a page which says -

For use with the following Product/s : VIA AC97 codec incorporated into VT82C686A South Bridge ( VT82C686A )
    VIA AC97 codec incorporated into VT82C686B South Bridge ( VT82C686B )
    VIA AC97 codecs incorporated into VT8233, VT8233A, VT8233C, VT8235 and VT8237 South Bridges ( VT1612A VT8233/A/C VT8233/VT8233A/VT8233B/VT8235/VT8237 VT8235 VT8235CE VT8237 )
    on it. is that what i download? thanks, sorry it's so confusing, im not very good at this. i tried to read the source to get the right address, but it's too confusing for me with the proxomitron injection LOL.

i hope someone can understand this post. i'll wait on the download page and see :) thanks.

Attached Files:

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Looks like it to me ice. You can always roll back or remove if not correct.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Ron. ive got system restore on too, so i hope it helps. i'll go and do it now. thanks :)

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

too late :D i installed it, and you were right, it worked, thanks for your help, Ron. if you hadnt helped id probably still be staring at the download page :D .

im very happy, i feel im no longer a computer newbie, and im now an intermediate. i managed to reformat, sort out the partitons. then when the OS was installed i found one conflict in Event Viewer, which was making the computer crash :( then i found the other reason it was crashing by studying which dlls where loaded by one of the svchost.exe's and noticing a dll which could, and was, the reason for the crashes and hangs.

i know now ive said that i will get into trouble and be needing everyone's help :oops: it's just in the past i wouldnt have been able to work out any of these things, so im glad for all the things ive learned here at Wilders'. :D thanks again, Ron :cool:

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

On the road again! :D Do you have Total Uninstall? Might be a handy tool for you as you try a lot of shareware.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i have it, but i only really use it for programs i think may be problematic or ones i dont think i'll keep. but, i dont download much shareware, if any, it's mainly freeware. however, im going to put a stop to that. i have a better idea now of what i want and need. so far i have only downloaded the things i really need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.