Can you backup and restore with using bootable disc?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ericfree, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericfree

ericfree Registered Member

SORRY: subject line should read, "Can you backup and restore WITHOUT using bootable disc?"

I cannot get the bootable CD to work on my computer.
    I believe it has to do with my motherboard.
    I will try to address that problem in the future.

For now, I really would like to make a backup of my OS and installed programs. My question:

Will ATI work just fine running within XP by doing a backup?
    Also, will a restore work fine within XP?

I would even prefer to make a clone of my system drive (C drive).
    Can this be performed without ever booting from a disc?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

TI can make an image or Files and Folders backup from within Windows just fine. However, if you are restoring your C drive you must be able to run the Linux recovery environment. This environment is on the bootable CD and is also started when restoring from within Windows - you enter the data in Windows but the PC reboots and loads the Linux recovery environment from your HD.

Your problem may be some inadequate Linux driver or some other incompatibility. Post more details about the CD failure and perhaps somebody can help. Things like what exactly are you doing, when it fails, error messages or anything written on screen, etc.

3. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

If you put the drive you want to restore on an external usb hard drive enclosure, you can restore to it from within windows without windows having to shutdown or using the bootcd.

I've done it like this several times with no problems, you can also restore to another hard drive connected inside the computer. The only time windows has to shutdown is when you want to restore to the actual hard drive that windows is actually running on.

Just remember not to boot up the computer with the source and the restored hard drive connected at the same time.

The only problem that might occur with windows xp, if the backup image that you plan to restore has seen and ID'ed in it's registry the drive it will be restored on, you might have drive letter problems.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hello ericfree,
    I really think that it is important to get the rescue CD working with your computer before going any further.
    You have passed over this dificulty without giving much in the way of details. It may be that all is required is to change the boot order in the BIOS. This is quite an easy operation and there are many helpers here who can giude you through it or point you to another solution.

If you do not get this sorted first you may be courting disaster. It is important to provide a bit more information about your computer. I can guess that it is a PC with XP SP3 Home installed but it could be something like XP MCE on a laptop which might have its own set of problems.

Until you have provided some more details the only advice I can give is not to try to follow Joneyjoes 81's advice because this could possibly land you in a problem area which only he seems to frequent.

To answer your general question. Yes you can create full images without using the rescue CD.
    Restores are done in a linux environment whether started from within Windows or from the rescue CD. The simplest way to find out if the program will run sucessfully on your hardware is to boot from the rescue CD to be sure that all your drives can be seen.

Xpilot

5. ericfree

Thanks for all of your help.
    Yes, I would really like to get the bootable CD working.

This is what happens. When I boot from the CD, I do get past the first screen (where it asks me what I want to load -- Acronis True Image Home, Acronis DriveCleanser, or Windows.)

I select, "Acronis True Image Home", and right after it says, "Loading Please Wait". But a few seconds later I get the message, "Disabling IRQ#20" and then it just hangs (doesn't go any further).

I have a ASUS P5W DX DELUXE motherboard, and I know of one other poster who had this same issue and who had the same motherboard. The issue wasn't resolved in the post.

The only thing I can think of is to update my BIOS, but before I attempt that risky operation, I'd like to get a better idea if that would fix the problem.

Any advice? Thanks so much.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you tried the:
    quiet acpi=off noapic
    work around as described in the Please read before you post sticky at the top of this forum?

A BartPOE or VistaPE boot disk with the TI plug-in may be the best alternative if the TI Rescue CD fails.

7. ericfree

I did try the:
    quiet acpi=off noapic

No luck. So then I removed the "quiet" tag, and took a picture of the output (attached.) I submitted it to Acronis Tech Support. I'm not expecting an answer so quickly.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas based on the photo.

Attached Files:

8. jmk94903

You could contact Acronis tech support and see if they can supply an ISO image of a boot disk that is compatible with your hardware. The TI boot disk is Linux based, and if the necessary drivers are not part of the package, it just won't work. There's no way for the user to add needed drivers to this disk.

Other than that, I think it's time to build a BartPE or VistaPE boot disk with the TI plug-in. These boot disks use Windows drivers and should be compatible with your hardware.

Check the forum for the directions on how to do this.

9. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

Yep , I do mine within Windows-just hook up your external FIRST & then bringup the program & run it. Good luck!:D

10. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If you are restoring the active partition, typically C, TI will collect the data relevant to the restore such as archive name, partition to be restored, etc while in Windows. After the data is collected the PC will request a reboot and the TI Linux environment will be loaded from your HD to do the actual restore. Windows cannot be running when the active partition is restored since one of the first steps is to delete the partition being restored. For this reason, it is imperative that the Linux environment work on the PC whether started from the Rescue CD or from within Windows unless you are using Bart/Vista PE.

11. jmk94903

nb47,

How do you plan to restore the image of your C (boot) partition if you can't boot from the TI Rescue CD? Restores that are started in Windows reboot into the same Linux environment of the Rescue CD to restore the C partition.

Therefore, it's essential to have a way to boot the computer and run TI from some boot disk, either the TI Rescue CD or the BartPE disk or the VistaPE disk with the TI plug-in for the PE disks.

Edit: Oops, should have read SeekForever's reply first. Never mind. :)

12. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

Well, that's how I do it (as you said) ; didn't realize that it went to Linux though). To other poster : I have emergency bootup disk so I''d try to restore thast way (if I ever have to). Luckily ; it works for me though. :D

13. jonyjoe81

Linux is only required when you try to restore into the hard drive that has windows running. (windows won't let you restore into the same partition because the system files will be locked, it needs to shutdown to be overwritten).

Like nb47 pointed out , bootcd is not required to restore an image partition onto an external hard drive, after that just shutdown computer and swap out drives. True image won't shutdown the computer to restore to an external.

This works as well as using the bootcd, if not quicker. And it's a good workaround if your bootcd doesn't work. The only drawback is that your system partition has to be working to perform the operation. If your hard drive fails then you do need a boot cd.

14. ericfree

OK, just want to make sure I've got the process right.

Without ever having to boot into the Linux environment:

If I want to make a working bootable clone of my system/boot/C: drive, then I do the following:

1. Make a backup of the C: drive. (Drive #1)
    2. Restore to a different physical hard drive. (Drive #2)

Then to boot from Drive #2:
    Swap drives -- remove Drive #1 and put Drive #2 in it's place.

Also, can I just clone from Drive #1 to Drive #2 instead of performing steps #1 and #2 above?

15. jonyjoe81

In order to bypass the linux environment you have to backup to a TIB file then restore that TIB file to another internal or external drive. You can do all this with true image operating while in windows without shutting down.

Then just swap out drives before you bootup the computer. If you just want to save a clone drive, just disconnect the other drive. It is always recommended to never boot up the computer with 2 C: drives.

According to the help file a direct hard drive to hard drive clone will require the computer to reboot into the linux environment or the use of a bootcd. This is due because true image won't clone the hard drive with the active operating system from within windows.

16. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ericfree,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

We may also recommend you to use our Live Chat service to expedite the resolution. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.