Can we really trust Norton PC Checkup Tool !?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PJC, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Right. No access with either Norton DNS nor Comodo DNS.
    But Google Public DNS did just work for me.
    Well, it has been a bit hard to get back to the Checkup Tool without being able to get there in the first place, don't you agree? ;)
    But now that I am able to access it, I find that I don't feel too enthused about downloading and installing a tool that takes 20 minutes to scan my machine (and to do who knows what else), particularly given the suspect results seen on this thread.
    So, to answer the OP's question, no, I guess I can't.

Edit in: Aw, screw it, I'll try it.
    Edit in Part II:, On 2nd thought, the tool description says that it will, "Automatically conduct a full system scan each week". I'm gonna go with my initial instinct and pass. :shifty:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Agreed, I was just being polite :D It can be downloaded here:

http://us.norton.com/nortonlive/free-pc-checkup.jsp

3. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I have only ever used my ISP's DNS servers, so I can't say how I would go with another service, and not about to try another DNS at this stage.

It was fine in Opera...;)

ScreenShot_Wilders_misc_01.jpg

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Who really knows what all the Norton DNS actually installs and enables/disables or allow/not allow access to? Maybe a true DNS will only allow resolving IP addresses and blocking domains/sub-domains. But considering everything else we find about daily regarding some "legit" company (Carrier IQ, et al)....there's no telling what the downloaded and installed Norton DNS can do. But just looking at my time line- with Norton DNS installed the page is not accessible. Immediately upon uninstall of Norton DNS the page is accessible. Everything else worked fine with my internet except for the page with the critical story of a Norton program.

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Well, I finally accessed the website and judging by what I've read and seen, I can only think two things:

1) It's one heck of a buggy application

2) It's scareware

Take your pick. This one does remind me of a similar tool BitDefender had released sometime ago. I don't recall the name, but it was essentially the same, using scareware tactics.

I find it an obnoxious behavior. :thumbd: If it was the second option they meant to release.

6. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I went there > hxxp://us.norton.com/nortonlive/free-pc-checkup.jsp, but I decided I will give it a miss. :thumbd:

7. acr1965

Auslogics has a pseudo scanner as part of its free defrag program, except I don't even think it scans anything- no disk activity at all during the "scan". The trumped up results include a link which points to the Auslogics BoostSpeed payware program.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm not a Norton fan, but after testing my main machine the results mirror what I expected.

Attached Files:

9. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Then it is one buggy software, I've read about this tool in another forums, I can't remember (I lurk in a lot of forums, LOL). He used this software and got the same results as thewindowsclub.com experience, then he tried it again and got a pass with the norton program.

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Okay, I ran the tool, and wished I didn't.
    (Note to self: shoulda' stayed with my initial instinct.)
    My conclusion, without a doubt, is that it is pure scareware.

Results found were: no protection detected, no active security software, poor performance, but no virus or spyware threats found. This on a system on which runs VIPRE AV and MBAM Pro real-time. The Norton tool also said I am running Windows Firewall (I'm running Online Armor, and it prompted me with one alert after another as the tool went thru its paces). Much to my liking, there IS an Uninstall Survey, in which I was able to share with Symantec a few of my candid opinions about why I chose to uninstalled their scanner tool.

Norton scan results.jpg
    Norton scan results II.jpg
    Norton scan results III.jpg
    Norton scan results IV.jpg

11. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I'm not sure why some of you even tried this?! You really shoulda known better. There's way too much of this kind of software on the net these days. Just another way for norton to try to get you to buy their software is all.

12. carat

carat Guest

Well done Norton Scareware!!! :(

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The results of the scans are inconsistent - see post #33. If the software was strictly a marketing tool it would be consistent. The purpose of installing is to test and see the results. I don't have an axe to grind either way. I just prefer to have opinions based on facts.

14. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Quick PC tune up utilities,PC quick cleanup utilities,etc etc etc. There are all kinds of these programs that are directed at getting the consumer to notice their paid products. This is the same,nothing more,nothing less.

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm already beating myself up, Boost, so no need to pile on. :D
    In fairness, I will say that I also wanted to assist other members who asked for an opinion on this tool.
    But lesson learned... I won't run this crap again.
    Ditto on that, Victek... no axe, just facts.
    The tool said no protection detected, no active security software was present, on a system which is running VIPRE AV and MBAM Pro real-time. The tool said I am running Windows Firewall, and I'm running Online Armor. I'm not even gonna mention Sandboxie, because detecting that is probably asking too much of such a tool.

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Just for the sake of argument, I've run the Norton tool again on my main machine (same as post #33): I get the same results. (Vista Ultimate 32 bit + Avira Premium).

I tested my netbook (XP Pro + Vipre 2012): Norton does not detect Vipre or any protection, even though Vipre shows on Windows Security Centre. Worse, it found 2 threats - 2 Chrome cookies... Labeling my PC as infected.

Finally I tested my old laptop (XP Home + Vipre 2012): Norton did not detect any protection, did not find any threats, but still opened a bubble window saying my pc is infected and I should follow their advice.

My conclusion is that the tool is consistent with the same machines, but is not reliable at all in checking different machines. I really don't think the tool is checking at all certain issues, and the most serious fact is that they label machines as infected with items as harmless as cookies and sometimes even clean machines.

People who have little knowledge of computers (the large majority of users)will panic and buy their ware. I for one would never buy any product from a company that uses such tactics.

17. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Sorry for the ... instant reply lol. I went for a shower and then sleep. I'm in Greece.
    I had a similar issue the other day with Megaupload, i could not access it with my ISP DNS for a few hours. I could access it via proxy but couldn't see the download link for free users (the countdown never started). I changed my DNS to Google and i was able to go to the site (Norton DNS worked also)

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for taking a more careful look at the tool. It seems clear now that it is worthless for security evaluation as well as bordering on scareware. They've crossed the line with this and I have to wonder what's going on? They have a good product so I don't know why they resort to these tactics.

19. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I run it and the results seem normal to me ,although I am using NIS 2012.Theres something amiss with the windows club result
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/trust-norton-pc-checkup-tool
    Note the performance window that shows disk size as zero mb ??.Personally i think its more of a compatibility issue at work here rather than scareware,but in any case symantec needs to look at it.
    ellison

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I also wonder why. Norton lately has done very well, but it seems obvious that the technical and marketing departments have different people and ideas.

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding it working properly with NIS installed it would be pathetic if the tool couldn't properly ID Symantec's own products don't you think? A tool designed to evaluate PC security should be able to determine whether or not AV is installed regardless of the brand. Someone reported that the scan found tracking cookies (NIS does call TCs "threats" but obviously not high risk), and called it an "infection" - that feels like scareware.

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Imo, the scareware label fits as soon as the tool fails to recognize legitimate antivirus software present on a system and proceeds to issue multiple false warnings to the user, such as seen in this post...

"Your PC is vulnerable.
    Our scan found that your PC is not protected by Anti-Virus software."

and
    "No active security software detected!"
    and
    "Virus protection: None Detected!
    Protection Status: Not Protected!"

As a Wilders member who understands these things, I trust myself and not some fickle tool.
    But how many people will run that tool and be scared into believing that they are not protected? I mean, read the Symantec warnings!
    Pure hogwash. :thumbd:
    If anyone has contact info for a Symantec executive, they ought to send them a link to this thread.

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Never even heard of it until now. Although the website is 404 for me (Norton DNS user), thanks for the enlightening info.

24. tipo

tipo Registered Member

25. acr1965

So has there been any info of relevance regarding the Norton DNS issue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.