Can we please, pretty please, have a Mac version of NOD?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by pc-support, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

Symantec does it, McAfee does it, Sophos does it (and theirs is great).

Why not ESET?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I think because Mac is used by less people , Mac used to be popular (in the USA ) . Only McAfee , Symantec and Sophos have such version , noone haso_O
    I am sure if necessary ESET will make such version
    :thumb:

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Two words come to mind: "Market Share", as in Apple have so little of it, I don't know the exact percentage, but it would have to be close to or less than 1%

Cheers :D

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

given that MacOS is now *nix based, it's not like it would be a full development - as their are already *nix based NOD32 versions - perhaps the market *isn't* there - but it's not beyond asking for... a MacOS version is basically throwing a pretty interface onto the command-line *nix version - at least that's how it would seem to me..

;)

5. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Apple is currently running ads in Australia suggesting that Macs are immune to the usual virus issues affecting PC. Could they be telling fibs:shifty:

6. Blackspear

I would suggest they keep that a little quite :blink:

:D :D :D

7. i_kenefick

i_kenefick Registered Member

AFAIK - it's more like 3-4% now. That's a lot of Macs! I think over the coming years MAC users will need AV protection. Already we have Sophos, Symantec, McAfee and Clam. I'd like a NOD32 version for the same reasons I like it for Windows. I really don't think that porting it over to mac would be difficult technically... just right now I don't think it's financially viable since there are already some major players saturating the market where right now AV for OS X is not really a priority.

8. i_kenefick

i_kenefick Registered Member

9. Blackspear

I know, but the public do not differentiate, they see the brand name Apple and it being crippled by a virus when it was shipped :blink:

Cheers :D

10. alglove

alglove Registered Member

"Our Macs are so immune to viruses, they are immune to the iPod virus!" :D

11. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

A few answers here:

ESET has not received a lot of demand from customers for a Mac OSX version of NOD32, nor has there been a great need for anti-malware software on this platform.

With that said, ESET does have BSD versions of NOD32, but this product is more geared companies who wish to protect a file or mail servers from transferring or hosting Win32 malcode. Apple's Xserve line of servers is probably the closest "target" audience but this product still only accounts for a very small percentage of Mac use.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I agree with other posters that there should be a Mac product from Nod. Several of my customers have Windows networks, but have a sole Mac on the same network running DTP stuff.

13. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Kaspersky version is on the way.:thumb: :D

14. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I am considering a Mac as a second computer and would love to know if I did go with my plans I could have NOD for my Mac and PC. I know they are not just as vulnerable but I still think I would feel better with an AV installed.

15. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I don't think that the issue is that the Mac is at risk, it's when it shares files with a pc. This is something I think that Nod should address as it's a network security risk to have an unprotected computer (Mac) on a network.

16. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I think it would be strange not to have to think of installing an AV but if there was no PC file sharing then MAC is :cool: maybe a portable version with a scan file only rather than the active AV would be possible for Mac users.

17. donsan

donsan Registered Member

I have three mac's and 1 windows machine networked and would love to see nod or kav desiqn a virus protection program for my mac's because i refuse to install a norton product on any of my computers.

18. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

Come on ESET, there's more than just me looking for a Mac version from you guys....

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.