Can this be done with Shadowprotect Desktop?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Hugger, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

A few weeks ago I asked a similar question. Now what I want to try to do is essentially the opposite.
    I just finished doing a clean install of Windows 7 Pro x64. Results were good.
    I downloaded Shadowprotect Desktop and went to activate it so that I could take a baseline image.
    SP says I'm out of activations which is OK because it's an obvious mistake that they will see when they receive their email.
    But they might not get back to me until Monday or Tuesday.
    I know I can make a copy now using the trial mode that's installed.
    But after I make the baseline copy I want to get on with installing all of my programs.
    If I do that, then when I get the activation key working, I'd be able to enter it into SP and that would be fine, but I believe I'm supposed to enter it and activate SP on the baseline too.? Or do I do it a different way?
    How do I do that, if that's what I'm supposed to do?
    I'm starting to feel like a time traveller.
    Thanks for any help.
    Hugger

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Could you rephrase your question? I don't know what you mean to say. What do you mean by baseline?

3. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Sorry. I'm often my own worst enemy.
    By baseline, I mean the one original image of the OS that is left alone. To be used, if necessary, instead of having to do another clean install and activation.
    I have made that image. But SP is not activated in that image. I am waiting for them to reset the license.
    I have been installing programs and will be making more images when I get the SP license issue taken care of.
    So what do I do to make sure that the original image shows that the license is activated if I ever have to go back to restore that image?
    I hope that helps.
    (I'm so glad I don't drink or do drugs.)
    Thanks for any help.
    Hugger

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear Hugger,

I can feel your frustrations. It is always the paid customers who are penalized by these stupid methods. This is what I was trying to say in one of the Prevx thread. The answer was to send them email and wait. The questions rises, why the need for an email? And, why the need for waiting?

Yes, you will finally get it activated, but imagine if you have ten or more such stupid programs to deal with, while you are trying to set up your computer, then what you frustrations level would be!

My sympathy for suffering as an paid user!

Kind regards,

KOR!

5. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Thanks, KOR.
    Would you happen to know if I would be able to activate the original image so that it's activated sometime in the future if I need it.
    I just can't afford to screw this up again.
    Hugger

6. aladdin

Dear Hugger,

If your image is not activated, then it will remain non-activated when you restore it.

What I understand in the past if your system crashed and the image is not activated, you can't restore it with their PE disk provided in version 4. This still can be done with their PE disk version 3 or earlier, even though the image was taken in desktop standalone version 4, but not with their version 4 PE disk.

So hang on to your version PE 3 or earlier disks.

Kind regards,

KOR!

7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

OK. Thanks.
    Hugger

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the actual image knows one way or another about activation. That controls the program. Granted if you installed a trial, imaged the system, when you restore, the program will not be activated, but far as I know once activated you could restore an image that you took with the unactivated trial.

You might post on their forum and confirm.

Pete

9. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Pete,
    Thanks once again.
    I believe you're right and will check.
    Thanks.
    Hugger

10. aladdin

Dear Pete,

This was posted in one of the threads in this forum. Basically, it was to patch an abuse which in the past was done with the blessing of ShodowProtect. This is what I understand and I might be wrong, as I am not an user of ShadowProtect. I own four licenses of Macrium Reflect.

What I understand, people made image of their computers during the 30 days trail of ShadowProtect Desktop. After 30 days the trial period is over but the image is done within the 30 days without activation. If their computer crashed, they used the ShadowProtect Recovery CD to bring back the computer to life and/or use the image to move it to another computer/hard disk. Now the version 4 of ShadowProtect Recovery CD looks in the image for an activated ShadowProtect Desktop, if it is there, then it works, and if it isn't then it doesn't work.

Best regards,

KOR!

11. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Good info, thanks (I'm using a licensed version 3.5 and its boot CD for some occasional needs).

12. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I've just had my license re-activated by SP.
    Personally I think they've got great customer service.
    I sent off my customary thank you note and took the opportunity to ask them about how to work with their licensing policy. I'm probably more confused than any of you.
    Specifically, I asked about the need to de-activate/activate when I travel from 1 image to another.
    When I get some answers I post them here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.