Can the Internet exist without Linux? - Yes, but it wouldn't be the Internet you know.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by zapjb, Oct 17, 2015.

1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

ZDNET
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/can-the-internet-exist-without-linux/?linkId=17978008

The Linux Foundation recently put up a funny video showing what life might be like without Web search. It's tagline was "A world without Linux is hard to imagine." It also added, "A world without Linux would mean a world without the Internet."

Of the top 25 websites in the world, only two aren't running on Linux. Those two, live.com and bing.com, both belong to Microsoft. Everyone else, Yahoo, eBay, Twitter, etc., etc., are running Linux.

Nothing new but worth repeating.

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Both live plus bing would likely run better if they were on linux too. Of course we know why they won't be!

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

This is why I thank Mr. Stallman and friends, they are the ones who started it all. And I also thank Mr. Linus for licensing Linux under GPL in '92.

4. Rigz

Rigz Registered Member

I'd imagine a world without Linux would either create a much smaller Internet, or an Internet with much more pirated software on servers.

5. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

The sheer cost of licensing proprietary software needed to run the servers would keep many websites from being financially viable and take a big financial hit on those that were. Not to mention the security issues with Windows Server compared to Linux. It has worked out nicely that Microsoft never got the lock on server OSes the way they did on client OSes.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Plenty of web servers out there running Linux which aren't patched and then exploited to host malware. Linux can be just as insecure if an untrained person sets it up and maintains it. Microsoft are now recommending server core for the roles which support it to reduce attack surface and has been the default install for a few releases now. I generally like the approach Microsoft is taking for servers I just wish they gave the choice of GUI or powershell for everything rather than forcing one or the other in some cases which can be jarring . IMHO if Linux didn't come along we would of just seen more BSD servers. Variety is good but I feel there are way to many similar distros and duplications.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.