Can someone suggest a very stable KDE distro for novice?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mattdocs12345, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Testing is not stable, its the next stable branch, but is generally stable enough for desktop use if you have some knowledge of how to fix things from the command-line.

FYI Ubuntu LTS is based on Debian Testing.

Debian Testing does sometimes break based on my experience (as much as Ubuntu breaks the UI ;)). Debian developers recommend Debian Stable for long term stability, the backports are pretty good (where they generally suck on Ubuntu), so you will get some updates to apps.

Cheers, Nick

2. joncr

joncr Registered Member

I don't know of a cuurent Linux install that doesn't ask you if the BIOS is set to local or UTC time.

Now there is a problem with setting a time server in KDE.

I've seen the GUI update manager grab policykit immediately after an install's first reboot, which blocks terminal updates. That shouln't happen, but it is not persistent. Left alone, it will momentarily present the list of post-install updates, and release the PID.

I've found NetRunner to be an excellent, well-designed and stable Linux, using a KDE that is refreshingly not cookiecutter.

I don't understand complaints about so-called bloat in distros unless you're running an ancient and tiny drive. If the presence of something is offensive, delete it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.