Can someone please help?

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by 6ml4RZ, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6ml4RZ

6ml4RZ Registered Member

Hello all,
    I have come across this site after weeks of aggravation trying to recover my password.

I am not a programmer and very new to disc encryption. Last month, I used TrueCrypt for the 1st time to encrypt a volume on an external hard drive containing 3 years of work. I did not access the volume for a month and now I am getting the "Incorrect password or not a TrueCrypt volume" message.

Unfortunately, I did not find out that I should've backed up the header file until now. I am not sure if the header file got corrupted or I may have forgotten the password.

I am trying to figure out how to correctly use true.crypt.brute, but I am not familiar with how to create a wordlist. I know the possible passwords I may have used, but not sure the order since I think I may have combined them.

I made a simple wordlist containing one word of only 4 characters to test out and input that into true.crypt.brute. The scan has been running for over 10 hours, the progress bar has not even budged.

I am glad that I found this forum. Can someone please help, what should I do?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. 6ml4RZ

6ml4RZ Registered Member

Thanks for the links. I checked out those posts and I still have a few questions.

I downloaded L517 but keep getting Run-time errors so not able to launch the program. Does anyone know of any other word generators for windows?

I am certain of my password, but I think that the Truecrypt header file got corrupted. If that happened, are there any tools that can repair header files or am I screwed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.