Can someone explain how this is done ??

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Snooker, Mar 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snooker

Snooker Registered Member

Hi ... I am not really sure what host is all about yet but i was curious if someone can explain how to perform this below on my windows xp pro o_O

You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, cookies, web bugs, and even most hijackers. This is accomplished by blocking the Server that supplies these little gems. Example - the following entry 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net blocks all files supplied by the DoubleClick Server to the web page you are viewing. This also prevents the server from tracking your movements.

If you like to view the whole thing look here at this url
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

2. ShotgunGirl

ShotgunGirl Guest

This may offer you a few answers:

http://accs-net.com/hosts/

Understand that are also numerous applications available with continuously updated lists.
    There was a time when a Hosts file was nearly all that was out there other than Webwasher and Proxo. These days even some firewalls can use block list: eg: Outpost and Kerio. So consider carefully whats best for you.
    Start at the beginning: Have you tweaked the security settings in Internet Explore and Outlook Express. Have you tweaked XP to your advantage. Have a decent Firewall, Anti-Virus and Anti-Trogan program(s) In short, are you really ready for a Host file?
    No it wont do any harm to put a Host file in first. Just don't lose sight of the real dangers while trying to prevent ads. A Host file wont stop johnny-for real-the hacker but a firewall may.
    Best Wishes

3. moore

moore Guest

hi Snooker
    it simply redirects the connection request for the ad server to your own localhost address which is [127.0.0.1] nothing , so no ads , etc display.

your hosts file can esily be hijacked as well , make sure you have it read only whenever you are not editing it.

there are also things like a .pac file to do the same thing and of course your firewall should be your main form of defence ..

http://www.schooner.com/~loverso/no-ads/

4. Snooker

Snooker Registered Member

Hi ... Thank you !!! Will have to try them both ... Thanks

5. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi Snooker,

Just another idea if you want to sort of get a jump start on the Hosts file. If I am not mistaken Spybots Search and Destroy (by Patrick Kolla) uses a host file as part of its "immunization" for Internet Explorer. It has a handy check box to specify it as a read only file. A nice feature of SpywareBlaster (another excellent freeware program) is that it will encrypt and store a copy of your hostfile, which can come in handy.

I know how to create host files, modify them, make them read-only and back them up. But its alot easier to check the appropriate boxes and let these programs do the bulk of the work.

I guess part of the thrill of Hosts in the long run is that you can customize and block your personal lest favorites. you can edit the list with Word Pad. The other part is that it uses virtually no system resources. In other words, unlike say, a virus scanner, blocking ads with Hosts actually speeds up your computer because you dont waste time loading the pages...

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.