Can Returnil disk virtualizing be started from command line?

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by VanguardLH, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VanguardLH

VanguardLH Registered Member

I don't use the RSS tray icon. I moved the RSS shortcut out of my Startup group so rvsgui doesn't load on logging into a Windows session. No point in wasting over 20MB in memory for a utility that is used on-demand. So the tray icon won't be there. Similarly, even when rvsgui is loaded, I configured RSS to not show its desktop toolbar since no matter where I put it will have it in the way (because it's clickable instead of just a status indicator). So currently I manually load RSS (rvsgui) and then go through its menus to start safe mode (i.e., turn on disk virtualizing).

When I start Returnil's safe mode, I'd like to first alter the configuration of my host. If possible, I'd like to move some .job files so they cannot be found by Task Scheduler. There are some scheduled tasks that are inapproprate or valueless while RSS safe mode is active. I'd like to stop some processes or exit some programs (magicjack, WinPatrol, etc) since I don't want them running in RSS safe mode. If possible (I still have to check this), I'd like to disable my anti-virus program before entering RSS safe mode since supposedly anything that happens is going to disappear when I reboot the host. I don't have RSS configured to go into safe mode on bootup because I use it for on-demand protection. That means while in safe mode, I don't care if keyloggers, malware, or unwanted programs show up because they'll be gone on a reboot. I don't leave my host running in RSS safe mode for long periods of time and instead use it sporatically and for an hour or two at a time.

So I'd like to write up a batch file that laters my host's existing state before entering RSS safe mode. I could do that already with the .bat file but I'd like to have a start of RSS safe mode at its end so I don't have to do that manually. Is there a command utility or command-line switch that can tell RSS to start its safe mode or am I stuck with using the GUI?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi VLH,
    No, the software does not support that type of command line control at the client level.

Mike

3. VanguardLH

VanguardLH Registered Member

Can I, at least, get the GUI to show up onscreen (instead of using the tray icon)?

I found out how to disable the anti-virus program using a command line (plus answering a prompt to ensure that I, the user, want the AV product to disable itself). If I can't get Returnil to go into its safe mode via a command line, could I get its GUI to show up? Then at the end of the .bat file, I could load Returnil's GUI which tells me now is the time to start its safe mode.

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

To get the GUI to start, all you should need to do is to call the exe in the start menu (start > All programs > Returnil System Safe 2011).

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.