Can only Image with a Boot CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by heyday, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyday

heyday Registered Member

Ok, I've been using Acronis for a while now and all of the sudden I can't make images while I'm in Windows. It just stays at 1 Hour and 59 minutes remaining.....

I can image with a boot CD.....

I've done a scan disk and everything but have no idea what could be going on....

Any ideas?

heyday

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you installed any new software or hardware recently which might be interfering with True Image? Check the date of your last successful backup and check for any additions since then.

If there are no new items or other odd symptoms on your system, the problem appears to be just True Image. If you don't already have the latest build, you might want to download and install that. It should replace all the TI files and get it working again.

Alternatively, you could uninstall TI and then reinstall the same version and see if that fixes whatever happened.

3. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

Have you try defrag the HDDo_O

4. heyday

heyday Registered Member

I Did a defrag and it appears to be working now.... lets see if it finishes...

It is wierd how a boot CD will image fine but in windows it hangs.... and it looks like a defrag may be the fix....

weird...

heyday

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello heyday,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Actually, it is not so "weird" as it seems, since it is a completely different cases. When Acronis True Image 8.0 is running from under Windows it is integrated into the operating system and utilizes some of it's resources (e.g. hardware drivers), while when this software is booted from the special Bootable Rescue CD it works in so-called "standalone" mode, which is Linux based and has it's own drivers, backup mechanism and even drive letter assignment rules.

However, if the problem will appears again please make sure that you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please also check each partition of your hard drive by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If that does not help then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also do the following:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

- Make a screen shot of the Device Tree application in the way described below:

- Download the Device Tree application;

- Run the application;

- Completely unfold the \Driver\Disk and \Driver\FtDisk branches;

- Move the margin to the left in order to see all the items;

- Make a screen shot and send it to us.

Please note that the application may crash the system when you exit, so we recommend you to save all your work and close other programs prior to running it.

Send all the collected files to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.