Can NOT Create a .tib image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by max0071, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max0071

max0071 Registered Member

Hi all:

My laptop will NOT create a tib image on my external for my laptop. There is an image with the nondescript logo when i open my external hd, but when i click on it nadda. When I open my ATI window it does not recognize this non tib image. This is my "new" toshiba laptop, not the old one I had other problems with.

I can create a full backup on my laptop ( c: to c: ) and then I can transfter this image to my external hd, and even validate within windows and from my boot disk on my c: and on the external Hd. But it seems I cannot create or validate a .tib image created from my laptop directly to my external hd.

The really odd part is that one week ago I was able to create and validate an image successfully from my laptop. Any help would be appreciated. Thnks

2. max0071

To Be Clear and Concise as I can:

As mentioned in my previous post (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=146829) I was successful in backing up and validating from the boot CD on my PC. So of course I wanted to do the same on my laptop.

After "succesfull" backup in the boot CD environment I checked by external HD and the image was a NON .tib image. ATI explorer tree did not see it. So I backed up in windows......same result......a non .tib image on my external hd. The HD that was sucessful in imaging and validation both in the windows and the boot cd environment of my pc.

So I created an image in windows to my c: drive and it was successfull and validated. I then sent this (copy) to the same external hd and it was a tib image that I validated in windows.

In other words the very same backup which was created in windows and copied to my external HD was recognized by ATI and was a tib image. However on attempting a direct backup to my external HD a tib image was NOT created. I'm now in the process of validating this copied image on my external HD by the boot CD using the validation and it was validated.

So the copy created from c to c and then transferred to my external HD appears validated within windows and from my boot disk. But I can not create a tib image directly from my laptop to the external HD

3. max0071

Am I stupid or whato_O?? Duuuuuuuuhhhh

The reason so far, that I did not get a tib image is cause on naming the new backup I added some verbal description to to the title and forgot to enter .tib at the end of it, so of course it did not create a .tib image. I then (in windows) gave a new title with .tib at the end and guess what. I got a validated and recognized image on my external.

I'm now in the process of doing a backup in the Boot CD environment, which takes an hour, an issue I raised previously, which I will deal with in my other post.

NEVER MIND.........SORRY FOR MY STUPIDITY....but it might help others, but I doubt anyone is as dumb as me.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You aren't the first to post a message like this but I never put .tib after my filenames in Windows. I always have something like: k:\folder1\CV60916_
    TI always puts the .tib on the end, maybe you put the "." without the tib and TI thought it was complete or is this only an issue when using the rescue CD?

5. max0071

That is usually the case but in this instance ATI did not and I backed up a non .tib image. Every other backup I just entered a comment to recognize the particular backup and never put .tib in as it was done by default. But for some reason it didn't in this instance and I spent half a day and troubled every one here.

When I did add the .tib it backed up my image in both windows and Boot cd environment and validated in both environments......so if anyone ever gets a non tib image, check your backup title to make sure it ends in .tib

Regards

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I just tried it in Windows and clicked through to the final screen to see what it displayed for the filename.

mybackup. showed the backup file to have the "." but no tib added. Space after mybackup still got the .tib added.

Perhaps you did have the "." at the end of your descriptive filename.

Anyway, we have all learned something from your experience so it wasn't a waste of time - just annoying for you.

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

max0071,

Did you use illegal characters in the file name? There was a poster who inserted dashes "-" in between the numbers forming the date and had the same problems.

8. max0071

I'm glad you asked cause it tweeked me to go to my drop down in "Backup Archive Location" and now I see what I did...what a goof I am. I entered the following:

"E:\MyBackup(25).tib Toshiba in Windows"

duhhh......so thats it........tib in wrong place......that's why I got an image that was not associated with ATI. Of course as is so obvious now the .tib has to be the last thing in the line. Live and learn

9. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

bVolk,
    All my TI Images have had dates with dashes in them. Here is the Exact name of one of my Backups. "XPS400 Master3 9-3-06.tib". Don't know why that user had problems, but I can confirm that dashes are ok to use.;)

10. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

You are right starsfan09,

Dashes inside image file names are valid on my system too, Windows and Linux alike, I just made a test.

So the other user must have had some other offending input that he fixed along with the dashes which in the end took the blame.

It's good you cleared this up. Dashes really make for better legibility of dates, only it seems that Windows and Linux do not sort them in the same order. I've been using the inverted date format like in CC060917.tib, to see the files neatly sorted. Must sort this sorting question out before changing my filenaming system once again. :D

11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

12. starsfan09

bVolk, and Menorcaman,

As you guys know, I load the Boot-CD...and then make TI Images.

I DO manually insert the .tib at the end of the file name as if it were part of the name.

First I make a Backup to the External named::
    " XPS400 Master 9-3-06.tib "
    " XPS400 Master2 9-3-06.tib "
    " XPS400 Master3 9-3-06.tib "

Immediately after it's done, I make other spare Backups to the Internal Spare HD named::
    " XPS400 MasterA 9-3-06.tib "
    " XPS400 Master2A 9-3-06.tib "
    " XPS400 Master3A 9-3-06.tib "
    ...by adding 'A' , I know it was written to the Internal HD as a Spare backup just in case.

For my other computer, this name has been used::
    " Dell8400 Master 7-1-06.tib "
    " Dell8400 Master2 7-2-06.tib "
    " Dell8400 Master3 7-3-06.tib "

From the moment I started using TI back in May, I've named all my files this way. Haven't had any problems with them being recognized on any of the 3 Externals, or the Internal Spare HD.
    Also named the files like this when using the DVD burn option, and they read with No problems.

13. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

starsfan09,

Are Master, Master2 and Master3 three "volumes" of the same multivolume archive that you renamed after creation, dropping the 1, 2, 3 that TI appended? If they are, did you ever do incrementals based on such a multivolume archive? If they are not, what are they (bearing the same date)?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  14. starsfan09

No. All 3 are Full Backups with no Incrementals. I named as such while making them.
    I Reinstalled XP Pro on 9-3-06 thru 9-4-06.
    After applying my personal settings, and a few programs, I made Master.
    Next, installed more programs, and applied settings. Then did Master2.
    Finally, installed all programs that get updated a lot (CCleaner, Norton 06, AnyDVD, Snagit, and etc) to make Master3.

This allows me to "Roll Back".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.