Can Macs be exploited by spyware or viruses?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by PhoenixWeb, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhoenixWeb

PhoenixWeb Registered Member

I am in a discussion on a private forum about PC security software. Someone has just suggested that if you run a business and use a Mac there is no need to have any security software like antivirus, firewall, or antispyware.

I am not that familiar with Macs or the OS, although I have read there are some proof of concept viruses for Macs about, and I was wondering what the general opinion is on here...

Is personal data and customer data secure on a Mac without any additional security software?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

mac's have less security holes and hardly any malware because not many people use them.
    you dont need much secuirirty on a mac for now at least.
    who knows if tons of people buy macs then they will be exploited to
    lodore

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

F-Secure´s blog

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I don't buy the - few people use it so it's not being exploited. *NIX and all possible derivatives are safer by default, 4.3 orders of magnitude, than Windows.

As to spyware / adware / malware - anything is possible when a user deliberately installs software. But the chances of that happening without user's consent during a simple session of chat / browsing / p2p etc are less than remote. PoC, nice to have, but so it cold fusion.

With *NIX systems, all you need is a firewall.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.