Can "kav's" proactive module be so stupid?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by faenil, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I know altering my system clock will disable Kav,is that what you mean to verify(don't need to!)have you bothered checking Lodores link and the reply from a cetain Mr Kaspersky??:-think he probably knows more about malware than me an even a faint possibility he may know even more than you!

2. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Agreed. Doesn't mean he's right this time, though.

3. faenil

faenil Registered Member

Sage words...

Hey man, you have to think also WHY he said this...A friend of mine is a hacker, and he's known between hackers...

Guess what, he uses date change to bypass kav's PDM :D

4. steve1955

would love to see code that your "friend" uses to bypass kav in this way!
    as mentioned earlier it wouldn't just disable pdm

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

either way, for such a good antivirus and self protection too, i wouldnt dare use this , when this error is there.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I second Chris in this. I would love nothing better then to buy Kaspersky, once and for all. But the Chkdsk issues along with it and Sandboxie with Vista not getting along, are the only things. Sorry, Kas, Sandboxie doesnt like you trying to load those drivers everytime you open your web browser. It really kills me. This is one company that has the potential to rocket to the top. But their dishonesty is what is killing them. Just admit to the issue, state when it will be corrected, and it is just good old human nature who will forgive you, and go on with you.

7. scirious

scirious Registered Member

I don't know if trying to extend your license disables the key, but if you have a current key and goes back in time it disables kav. However, returning system time to present re-enables kav.

8. solcroft

Yeah, like you'd be able to understand it. :rolleyes:
    Nope, it wouldn't just disable the PDM, the realtime scanner would go kapoot as well. So just include downloader or dropper functionality in the code, and that malware could invite a gang of its buddies that would ALSO go undetected, even if KAV does have the signatures to detect them. ;)

9. steve1955

don't equate your computer knowledge with everybody elses,send me the code,and lets see if I understand it!
    Your friend is prob of same ilk as one of mine:-says he could beat ali and tyson when ali and tyson were at their prime,he's a dreamer as well!
    Put in language i hope you understand:-I don't believe you have a "hacker friend" who bypasses kav in this way!

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

We ask that this thread return back to the discussion contained in the title Please. All the other off comments\general chit chat is best handled via PM.

Thanks,
    Bubba

11. solcroft

~snipped off topic comments....Bubba~

In any case, it does seem that LUSHER is right, at least partially. Kaspersky intends to protect their profits first before their customers, and as long as people don't notice this system date flaw and raise any public outcry, they seem to be perfectly content to lie low about it, seeing as how it's been there for quite some time and several versions now.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  12. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

If you're running from a limited user account, how could malware change the system clock? If that were true, it would be a vulnerability in XP as well.

If you install malware through your admin account, any software is potentially susceptible.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2007
  13. solcroft

As far as I'm aware of, KAV is the only AV that gets disabled this way.

14. scirious

scirious Registered Member

Well, many software have their weakes. Just for an example, NOD32 V2 you just need to delete it's dll's. So it will also be gone.

15. solcroft

Not when they're loaded in memory and locked by the OS, sorry.

16. steve1955

if its done on boot before they are loaded into memory??

17. solcroft

Yes, that's another good method to kill KAV. ;)

18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Therein lies Kaspersky's motivation.

19. steve1955

Judging by the blinkers you're wearing I can only assume you're very anti-kav and very pro-nod:-thats your view and you're welcome to it
    Of the two the hardest to kill is Kav(a lot harder!),sorry to upset you delusions!:- it seems anybodythat doesn't agree with your ideas is wrong,so best I leave it there!(I don't like being "wrong all the time")

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  20. solcroft

I'm sorry that the mere stating of simple, easily verifiable facts can actually instill the notion of this against that in your mind. Of course, you're always welcome to provide evidence that the issues raised in this thread are wrong.

21. steve1955

There is evidence in another thread on this forum,but no doubt that will be wrong as well,buy some smaller blinkers!

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=186002

22. solcroft

I see nothing in that thread that contradicts the issues raised in this one in any way.

23. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

In short time you will get your chance to use Kaspersky without these known issues ;)

24. steve1955

obviously wearing a blindfold,not blinkers(my mistake!):-you actually brought up Nod not being easy to kill!then adjusted my reply to suit your blinkered view on the world!

Nod is a good AV but has it weaknesses,at the moment Kav is a better AV(IN MY OPINION!) with far less weaknesses,accept it!:-that position may change when Eset release next version,but at the moment that is the state of play,I'm not saying Nod is a bad AV(I like and have used it in the past:-replaced it with Kav on all machines since Kav now runs very light)and when some issues about it,mainly re-self protection,have been addressed might start using it again:-I use the product which best suits what it is designed for and don't dogmatically stick with a product(making excuses for its failings along the way!)if I feel something else is better

25. solcroft

Again, despite your pointless rhetoric, I would like to point out the simple fact that the thread you specified does nothing to prove that KAV isn't killed by something as simple as a system time change.

I really don't understand why you're arguing yourself blue in the face and indignantly defending Kaspersky when that very simple fact is there for everyone to see (except for the people who deliberately choose to not see it). For all of KAV's much-touted self-protection, just modify the system date, and KAV dies. Is that really such a complicated concept for you?

;)

Unlike some of its more "dedicated" fans, it's good to see that Kaspersky knows how and when to acknowledge problems, and that it's moving to fix them. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.