Can individual CD image parts be copied to DVD ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Defenestration, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I have created an image of my system which spans several CD-R's. I wanted to know if it's OK to copy each part of the image onto a single DVD-R, and whether TI will just use the image parts when restoring without displaying a requester, thereby allowing me to restore my system without any user interaction.

Anyone know if this works ?

2. Down_Under

Down_Under Guest

3. Defenestration

No I'm not. This is a question about TI.

The reason I wanted to create the image on a CD-R first is because I don't have a DVD burner on one of my systems and the systems aren't networked. Therefore I created an image of my system on CD-R's. When restoring the image, I have to swap the CD-R's due to it being spanned across several CD-R's. I want to copy the individual .tib files from each CD-R onto a single DVD-R so that when I restore the image, it will read all parts of the image from the DVD-R, without the need for me to swap any discs .

I will probably go ahead and try it anyway, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has tried it with success ?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Defenestration,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

If you plan to restore system partition you should use DVD-RW, DVD+RW or DVD+R rather than DVD-R. Please make sure that you write the image parts to UDF formatted DVD.

Thank you.

--
    Ilya Toytman

5. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Defenestration:

It should work. Why not just give it a shot?

6. Defenestration

wdormann - I'm going to try it anyway, to DVD-R since that's all I've currently.

Acronis - Why can't I use DVD-R ?

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Defenestration,

Current version of Acronis True Image doesn't support DVD-R. We expect the support of this type of DVD to be implemented in future versions. Please use DVD+R or DVD+RW, DVD-RW instead.

Thank you.

--
    Ilya Toytman

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Ilya

When you say TI doesn't support DVD-R can we assume you meant it can't write images direct to DVD-R? It can certainly read images that have been burnt to DVD-R via third party software such as Nero, using the alternative two-step method detailed in the True Image Online FAQ.

By the way, I feel the TI User's Guide is somewhat misleading as the current wording in both Chapter 4.4 and Chapter 11.2 seems to indicate that DVD-R media could be used for automatic image creation direct to DVD (i.e. the use of the term DVD-R/RW instead of DVD-RW).

Regards

9. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the OP was talking about copying already-created images to DVD. (Using Nero or whatever burning software)

This is solely a function of the burning software used, and whether the rescue CD can read normal DVD-R discs. (Which it can)

10. daMonkey

daMonkey Guest

I use DVD-R to burn my image files, I just set the file size to 1 GB, and let it create as many parts as it needs, it still numbers them sequentially. Burn em all to DVD-R and TI has no problem with seeing them all. If you have the individual files under 2GB then you don't have to use UDF. I burn them using Nero 5.5.10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.