Can I use Firefox 3?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I switched from Firefox recently because every single upgrade was the same, and Firefox was getting very slow. I switched to Chrome and I love it but I hate the bookmarks manager so much I am not able to adjust

I had a problem recently with FF 15.0.1 where my local .html files will not open no matter what I did in the default programs and file associations, it was always opening in WMP, but the moment I installed Chrome .html files started opening normally.

With that being said, I don't want to give FF 15.0.1 or any new FF for that matter a chance. I remember back in the old days how FF 3 was awesome and worked just right.

1) Can I install it now and be safe? or am I missing out on security features?

2) If I can install it, where to get the latest v3 version of it?

2. berryracer

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

You can use whatever you want, but your problems are not common. Maybe all of those registry cleaners and defraggers you have been using? I am having no complaints with Firefox 15.01. My suggestion... Format... install Windows. Load all of the software you want. No cleaners, defraggers, or optimizers. No service tweaking. Leave it alone. This is not meant as a criticism. I have had to learn these things the hard way myself. I don't play with those toys anymore, and I have no problems anymore. :thumb:

4. berryracer

Thanks man

I installed FF 3.6.28 for a while but I kept getting messages everywhere that I am using an ancient browser. So I uninstalled it, installed FF 15.0.1 again, and this time it worked fine and my .html files open in Firefox

thanks for the advice

PS: I did use Auslogics Registry Cleaner and I must say it has been running fine, my system is still stable, I did a clean with the default settings not the advanced categories, I also did a defrag with Auslogics Registry Defrag and no problems :)

5. guest

guest Guest

Try Pale Moon

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I think 8 was the first FF version I upgraded to from 3. Like you, I was apprehensive to the change. Because I find that more often than not change is bad these days, not true "progress" at all, and just the opposite actually.

But this was not one of those cases. 8 was notably quicker, and now I never hesitate to upgrade FF.

7. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

FF 3 is obsolete. You can install the ESR version of Firefox, which I believe is v10 ESR. They only update that once a year, so it should be more stable than the hasty new releases on their regular channel.

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

+1.agreed.:thumb: :thumb:

9. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Sure, you can do whatever you like. But you will be missing out on significant memory management enhancements/ leak fixes as well as GPU acceleration and just a ton of other stuff basically.

And security patches.

10. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

11. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

From Wikipedia

Attached Files:

12. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Until recently Mac PowerPC users were forced to run Firefox 3 - now a fork of Mozilla called TenFour has updated the Mozilla browser to Firefox 10 - not the latest build but better than folks had before on that platform.

13. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

There are those who think if it's not the latest, it's obsolete. Still using 3.6.28 here with no problems at all. :D

14. tlu

tlu Guest

It's more than remarkable that a user interested in security (why else are you participating on Wilders?) is still using a browser version that doesn't get security fixes anymore. I don't get it. o_O

15. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The browser is still usable. Some people don't necessarily like the latest and greatest. If there's a point in upgrading, sure. But not just to keep up with the Joneses.

16. tlu

tlu Guest

Again, that's not the point. V. 3.6 is insecure as it doesn't get any security updates anymore.

17. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

As in any secure/unsecure assessment - it depends!

For example, FF 3.6.28 without a plugin like NoScript is quite vulnerable, however, when several older plugins that protect history and cache are no longer available in newer versions of Firefox which version of FF would you assume is more vulnerable? It still depends.

Just because FF 3.6.28 no longer gets security updates does not mean the the user is as vulnerable as many would believe.

I use FF 3.6.28 and have some 40 plugins to help keep me safe, and the main reason I use it is that it still works (although it does crash here and there), and the new versions of FF have yet to update the plugins I use.

-- Tom

18. tlu

tlu Guest

If an extension is no longer available for post-3.6 versions, it means that it's no longer maintained/under active development. I would not use such extensions as they might have securiity problems that will never be fixed. Besides, if you take what you said to its logical conclusion, you would still use Firefox 3.6 in 10 or 20 years' time. You can't be serious about that ;)

As much as I love Noscript, you should not use it as a replacement for necessary security fixes, e.g., in the Firefox javascript or rendering engine. Besides, once Noscript 3 is out (hopefully soon!) I doubt that it will still support 3.6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.