Can I use AVG anti syware's file shredder to shred an infected file???

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cheater87, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

What would happen if instead of cleaning or quarantining an infected file I shredded it 10 times using AVG anti spyware's shredder featureo_O I was thinking about this yesterday. Can shredding destroy the infection if you shred every file thats infectedo_O?

2. cheater87

Anyone know if this can work?

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Yes, this can work.Quarantine (or, if you must, deletion) is usually adequate, though. Once a file has been quarantined/subsequently deleted, it ain't gonna run, unless the user deliberately runs a recovery program to restore it.

Out of curiosity, what's the file, and type of infection?

4. cheater87

Oh I'm not infected. This is just an idea I came up with a few days ago and I wanted to see what other people thought of it.

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I guess if you were certain a file was not a false positive, then it's a good means to destroy it forever. I mean, if you're in the habit of restoring unidentified deleted files.
    I don't know of any malware files that can recreate themselves from a deleted state, don't think it's possible, but I'm no expert.

6. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Shredding/quarantining only works for dormant malware AFAIK. Consider memory-resident malware, that can re-spawn itself after file(s) have been deleted. Either by restoring a hidden copy or re-downloading itself.

And I agree with Tarq57, Quarantining/deleting is enough. Overwriting the file 10 times is *just* overkill, nothing more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.